Arizona April 19, 2016
9 Reasons The Entire Country Should Be Thankful For Arizona
Whether it’s loving our beautiful landscapes or recognizing the contributions our state has given to the country (and world!), every day is a good day to be thankful for Arizona. Here are a few reasons we think the entire country should be thankful for Arizona:
1. Astronomers everywhere love our dark skies.
Arizona has several dozen observatories scattered across the state but three of them for their contributions to science: Lowell is popular from Pluto fame, Mount Graham has the world's most advanced optical telescope, and Kitt Peak has a whopping 22 telescopes. It would be difficult to see the stars and planets without dark skies.
2. By the way, Arizona has also done a lot to contribute to Mars exploration missions.
ASU is home to the Mars Space Flight Facility and this specializes in designing testing instruments. Meanwhile, U of A manned the Phoenix Mars Mission, which confirmed the speculation that Mars does indeed have water on its surface.
3. Arizona keeps the country well-nourished each winter!
Our very own Yuma County supplies 90% of the country's leafy greens during the winter months.
4. Ice cream lovers can appreciate our state for founding Cold Stone Creamery, which first opened in Tempe in 1988.
The original store was located on the southwest corner of Southern and McClintock.
5. The world's longest running TV commercial—the one with a disgruntled woman tossing a tire through a Discount Tire shop window—was created and filmed here in Arizona.
6. Photographers everywhere are also thankful for our incredibly photogenic landscapes.
Why do you think we have a travel magazine best known for its impressive photography?
7. Some landmark Supreme Court case decisions originated in Arizona's local courts.
The most notable is
Miranda v. Arizona, but plenty of others clarified how police investigations and court proceedings took place. One example is Edwards v. Arizona, which stated that police have to stop interrogations once a defendant requests a lawyer. It also clarified that interrogations may not occur “without counsel present or a knowing and intelligent relinquishment of that right.” Someone needs to tell TV detectives this!
8. Arizona was the birthplace for some renowned political figures. Examples: Cesar Chavez (Yuma), Barry Goldwater (Phoenix), and Mo Udall (St. Johns).
9. The Make-A-Wish Foundation was the brainchild of two Arizona DPS officers who helped a terminally ill boy become an honorary officer before he succumbed to leukemia in 1980.
The foundation granted nearly 15,000 wishes to children last year!
What are some other reasons you think everyone should be thankful for our state?