This 73-Mile Arizona Scenic Drive Winds Through An Abandoned Village And Ancient Volcano
Hikes are great and all, but sometimes, it’s nice to enjoy Arizona’s boundless beauty from the comfort of your vehicle. There’s no better place to do just that than the 73-mile Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments Scenic Drive, which cuts through the Painted Desert en route to two of our state’s most iconic wonders. Without a doubt, this route is one of the most scenic drives in Arizona – it’s the Volcanoes and Ruins Loop scenic drive. Ready to get started? Let’s go!
For a sneak peek and helpful overview of what to expect along this drive, check out the YouTube video below, courtesy of Living In Arizona Now:
Have you ever taken the Volcanoes and Ruins Loop scenic drive? If so, tell us all about your experience in the comments section below! Check out our previous article for another scenic drive in Arizona that isn’t too far from this one. Don’t forget to pack some road trip snacks!
More to Explore
Volcanoes and Ruins Loop Scenic Drive
What are the most beautiful natural wonders in Arizona?
Arizona is positively brimming with natural wonders to discover. Perhaps the most famous of all is the Grand Canyon, a world wonder that can only be described as awe-inspiring. It's perhaps unsurprising to learn that it's considered among the top destinations in the U.S., too! Of course, the Grand Canyon isn't the only natural wonder in Arizona. Some other bucket-list-worthy places to check out include:
- Antelope Canyon
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Chiricahua National Monument
- Havasu Falls
- Kartchner Caverns
- Lava River Cave
- Meteor Crater
- Monument Valley
- Petrified Forest National Park
- Red Rock State Park
- Tonto Natural Bridge
- The Wave
How many of these Arizona natural wonders have you experienced before?
What are the best hikes to take in Arizona?
Hiking in Arizona is always a good idea. Not only are the views bound to be remarkable, but the trails themselves are well-maintained and a joy to take. Below you'll find a list of Arizona trails that belong on your hiking bucket list:
- Big Loop (Chiricahua National Monument)
- Brown’s Peak Trail (Four Peaks)
- Escalante Route (Grand Canyon)
- General Crook Trail (Mogollon Rim)
- Great Western Trail (Arizona)
- Havasu Canyon Trail (Grand Canyon)
- Humphreys Summit Trail #151 (Humphreys Peak)
- North Kaibab to Bright Angel Trails (Grand Canyon)
- Parson’s Trail (Sycamore Canyon)
- Siphon Draw Trail (Flat Iron at the Superstition Mountains)
- West Fork Trail (West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon)
- Wildcat Trail (Monument Valley)