This Rural Road Trip Will Lead You To Some Of The Best Countryside Hidden Gems In Arizona
Here in Arizona, the heart and soul of our state can be found not in the largest cities, but in the very tiniest of towns. This three-hour road trip leads to some of the best rural areas in Arizona, from quirky Route 66 ghost towns to a remote wildlife refuge where you can take an exhilarating safari tour. Hop in the car and let’s go!
Visit Google Maps for a customizable trip itinerary!
Would you take this road trip to the best rural places to visit in Arizona? Tell us your thoughts in the comments! Wondering what to pack for such an epic road trip? Check out our ultimate road trip packing list!
More to Explore
Rural Areas In Arizona
What are some of the nicest rural areas in Arizona?
Arizona is one of those states that doesn’t get enough credit for its rural places. While everyone flocks to major cities like Phoenix, Flagstaff and Tucson, other areas get ignored. Some of the best, most beautiful rural areas in Arizona include:
- Sonoita – This tiny town is jaw-droppingly beautiful and located in the heart of Arizona’s wine country, which, yes, is a thing.
- Verrado – This adorable offshoot of Buckeye is west of Phoenix and has all the charm of a small town that feels like it’s from somewhere else.
- Oracle – This town is a living ghost town with stunning views of mountain ranges contrasted with desert landscapes. It’s beautiful.
Learn more about the best rural destinations in Arizona.
Which rural hidden gems in Arizona are worth checking out?
That being said, there are so many hidden gems in Arizona that are totally worth checking out – rural towns or not – and worth mentioning. Some of our favorite rural hidden gems in Arizona are:
- The Gila Box Riparian National Conservation Area – This refuge is absolutely beautiful year-round, though in the fall, it comes alive with intense color. You’ll find it south of the Blue Range Wilderness.
- Cabeza Prieta Wilderness – Did you know that there are sand dunes in Arizona? Yep. And sand dunes are far from the only unique landscape you’ll find on this expanse of land.
- Blue Range Wilderness – You might as well double this one with Gila Box! If you’ve never explored this stunning forested, mountainous area we share with New Mexico, you need to.
Learn more about some of the best rural hidden gems in Arizona.
What are some of the other best hidden gems in Arizona?
Okay, so what if you’d like to avoid being in the middle of nowhere but would still like to explore? No worries! Some of the other must-see hidden gems in Arizona are places like:
- Mt. Lemmon – This one’s popular among those who know it’s there. Those who don’t ought to! This amazing mountain leads drivers through several vastly different types of landscape/biome before they reach the town at the top known as Summerhaven.
- Grand Falls – You'll find this epic waterfall about 30 miles east of Flag. It looks coolest during spring, when snow to the north is melting and feeding the falls.
- Emerald Cove – Kayakers will love this stunning slice of paradise they can paddle to where the water is a remarkable emerald color.
Learn more about more of the best hidden gems in Arizona.