Arizona September 28, 2017
13 Unwritten Rules Every Arizonan Lives By ‘Til Death
It’s probably an understatement to say that life in Arizona is unique from other parts of the state. Our state is the only one that’s home to all four deserts
and the southernmost alpine tundra. Our summers easily reach 120 degrees and winters often dip to 10 degrees. This a land of extremes and despite that, this is one beautiful place. Let’s take a look at some of those unwritten rules that makes living in Arizona unique.
1. Always, always, always test the tap water before putting your entire hand under it.
If you’ve ever tried using the "cold" water tap in the middle of summer, you know what I’m talking about.
2. Absolutely nothing smells as wondrous as desert rain.
How many of you know which plant makes that amazing scent?
3. Also, nothing is more stunning than an Arizona sunset.
It might have something to do with all that dust in the air?
4. A horizon must always have a mountain or two to break the monotony.
A hill doesn’t count.
5. In summer, shaded parking is the best parking.
If you want to know what hanging out in an oven feels like, just sit in your car for a few minutes after it’s been parked in the sun for awhile.
6. In summer, the best time to do yard work, exercise, or walk the dog is around 5 a.m.
Sometimes, the temperature may still be 100-degrees at midnight, so don’t sleep in too late if you have work to do!
7. These are cacti.
I guess "cactuses" is kind of also correct but we insist on cacti.
8. This is a chimi.
Oh, so yummy.
9. In some areas of the state, this is a burro.
Sometimes we eat them wet.
10. These are stinky and will eat your cacti.
Just remember, don’t feed them!
11. This is a dust storm.
It’s a rare Arizona native who would call it a "haboob," that’s how we can sometimes tell how long you’ve been living here. 🙂
12. There are some places in the state where GPS or your cell phone won’t work.
Sometimes, that’s okay! Who needs a messaging app making noise every few seconds when you have a view like this?
13. No matter the time of year or weather, there’s
always a place to enjoy some outdoor activities and beautiful views.
What other rules or tips would you add to this list? You can read more of these only in Arizona experiences in
15 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Arizona. You might find yourself agreeing to a few of these!