Arizona January 09, 2017
15 Things Every Arizonan Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
If you were to tell the rest of America just one thing they should know about Arizona, what would you say? There are a lot of things that come to mind, like, there’s more to the Grand Canyon State than, well, the Grand Canyon. Here are 15 more things we think tends to be said pretty often about Arizona.
1. Arizona is more than just desert.
We’re lucky to have some incredibly diverse landscapes: mountains, wetlands, a tundra, and plenty of forest areas!
2. Arizona is as beautiful as it looks in the pictures.
It almost seems like you can find an impressive view every mile you travel.
3. Don’t forget to visit our small towns when you’re here!
There’s more to Arizona than Scottsdale, Sedona, and the Grand Canyon. Expand your itinerary to include places like Cottonwood, Greer, and Tombstone. (I bet you recognized that last one.)
4. Don’t hog the water, please.
While Arizona isn’t one huge desert, much of it is an arid landscape and water is the most precious thing we could have. The next time you visit, try conserving some of that water. Every little gallon counts!
5. Don’t skip that sunscreen!
You’ll regret it.
6. It doesn’t really start getting hot until the thermometer reads at least 107°F.
Sometimes, the sun feels like it moved a few million miles closer to us.
7. If you’re traveling to the northern portion of the state between November and February, you should definitely consider bringing a coat.
For example, Winslow had a low of 17°F this weekend which is a little chilly.
8. Sorry to stomp on your dreams but it’s not the Wild West out here anymore.
You can still find places to ride a stagecoach for awhile but Arizona does exist in the 21st century.
9. Don’t hug the cacti!
I don’t know why people do this but apparently those large saguaro arms look like they are begging for a hug. Also, don’t think you can just quickly pet any cactus and walk away.
10. While we’re at it, don’t damage our native plants either!
Our state cactus is protected under state law and damaging, removing, or stealing one without the proper paperwork could land you with a class four felony.
11. Hiking is fun but bring extra supplies and know where you’re going.
It seems that not a week goes by without hearing about someone getting stranded on one of our trails because of the heat, lack of water, or not knowing what kind of trail they were getting themselves into. Do your homework before engaging in any physical activities here!
12. We have our own regional hot dog that is spicy and protein-packed.
I present you with the Sonoran dog: one hot dog wrapped in bacon, topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, mayonnaise, and mustard inside a bolillo bun.
13. There’s something for everyone here.
Lakes, rivers, deserts, forests, mountains, hippie towns, ghost towns, bustling urban centers, ranches, ski resorts. You name it, we probably have it.
14. If you’re single for Valentine’s Day, don’t fret! You can celebrate our Statehood Day instead.
February 14 is Arizona’s birthday and that might be even more important than getting a bouquet of flowers.
15. We’re proud to be Arizonans.
Not a day goes by that I don’t read at least one comment from a reader who misses Arizona terribly or from someone just happy to be living in the Grand Canyon state. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else either!
What else would you add to this list?
Want to see just how beautiful Arizona is? Check out the photos in
17 Sites In Arizona That Will Remind You How Stunning America Truly Is. You won’t be disappointed.