Arizona January 23, 2017
11 Ways Arizona Is America’s Black Sheep…And We Love It That Way
If you were to select a few adjectives to describe Arizona, what would you choose? Beautiful? Majestic? Dusty? Weird? That last one might seem a little out of place but I disagree! Arizona can be one odd state, especially if you’re not from anywhere in the desert southwest. If you’re not convinced, here are just a few reasons our home state is a little odd and we’re fine with that.
1. Our diverse climates confuses outsiders.
Everyone assumes Arizona is one massive desert so whenever pictures pop up on social media of our snowstorms or monsoons, a lot of people tend to be surprised we even get weather.
2. Also, receiving 0.01 inches of precipitation means it rained that day.
We take what we can get.
3. In winter, you’ll find people either bundled up like they’re going out to the tundra…
This one is dedicated to all you desert rats secretly yearning for warmer days.
4. ...or walking around in shorts and a t-shirt. Maybe a hoodie.
5. Speaking of winter, we tend to do Christmas just a little different.
Share this article if you know why that Santa hat can be more than just decorative!
6. We joke about it but, generally, we think the summer heat isn’t
7. We think repairing homes, buildings, and infrastructure after a storm is really no big deal.
8. Everything here can kill you.
If you’re careless, nature will teach you a lesson.
9. We measure distance in time.
Telling someone how long it is to their next destination? Arizonans tend to say how many minutes (or hours, ugh) it typically takes to get somewhere.
10. We’re crazy for our second amendment rights.
11. We know the meaning behind that cryptic message “fear the fork.”
We’re not talking about your salad fork. Oh, yeah, there’s also “bear down” for some of you folks but that doesn’t sound very weird.
What other attributes do you think makes Arizona the black sheep of the states? Let us know what you think!
Clearly, you’re reading this because you love Arizona. If you happen to miss it because you’re living elsewhere or you’re on one
really long trip, then check out our article, 13 Things Everyone Who’s Moved Away From Arizona Has Thought At Least Once. You’ll find yourself relating to at least half of the list!