23 Things Alaskans Do That Seem Insane To Everyone Else
Living the Alaska life certainly is not like anything else that you’ll experience in the lower 48. In fact, it’s so unique that many outsiders find us to just be straight up insane. But we love our weird and kooky lifestyle, so we don’t mind if it makes other people scratch their heads in confusion.
1. The award for the most versatile clothing item goes to Xtra Tuf!
Because we literally ALL wear these things for pretty much ALL occasions imaginable.
2. After a long, cold, dark winter, don’t be surprised if you catch us in a t-shirt or flip flops when the weather goes anywhere above 30 degrees.
Or no shirt at all… 😉
3. We have absolutely no concept of time when the Midnight Sun is shining.
4. Even if it’s a school night, we’ll forgo a little sleep for a good Northern Lights show.
5. We fish in crowds that look like this…
Combat fishing at it's finest, baby!
6. And we share our fishing holes with critters that look like this…
7. Two words: Dip Netting.
8. Only in Alaska will you find someone walking their pet reindeer in the middle of the downtown district.
Or riding in the back of a pickup truck in the city of Nome.
9. Even if we don’t know you, we’ll strike up a conversation with you.
And probably spend the whole time talking about how Alaska is the best place in the world to live.
10. We’ll always choose comfort over style.
11. But then again, our Native Alaskan style is pretty much the best combination of both worlds.
12. Plus our furs are guaranteed to make you smile.
Insane? Not to us!
13. When we brave all the elements, we do it with our beloved four-legged family members.
In matching outfits, too! 😉
14. This is how we dry our salmon...
Did somebody say squaw candy? Nom Nom Nom.
15. We basically plan all aspects of our lives, vacations, etc. around Alaska’s peak fishing and hunting seasons.
16. We pretty much never take snow days and we let our kiddos enjoy outdoor recess until it's -10 below 0.
17. We spend most of our time driving on roads that have absolutely no visible lanes whatsoever.
18. And then you have these daring kinds that use the winter roads to their advantage.
19. We don’t settle for status-quo adventures.
20. We have entire freezers dedicated to game meat.
21. And when we run out of room, sometimes we even have makeshift freezers in the permafrost ground.
22. When you live outside of city limits in Alaska, this is your primary source of transportation...
Cheaper fuel and a lot easier to navigate treacherous terrain. Sign us up!
23. We pay insanely high prices to live in rural Alaska, but we wouldn’t ever choose to live anywhere else.
Because there is no greater place in the world than the Last Frontier!
If you enjoyed this read, be sure to check out
these 33 ways that Alaska is America’s black sheep, and why we love it that way. You might also enjoy these 21 things that everyone who has moved away from Alaska has thought about at least once. For more great articles and incredible video footage from Alaska, be sure to check us out online HERE.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.