Igloos, endless darkness and polar bears roaming freely throughout the last frontier… No, just NO! Alaska is so much more than the perception that is oftentimes thought up by outsiders or those who have never been here. We are a prospering state filled with endless outdoor activities, rich traditions, beautiful beaches, incredible islands and some of the nicest people in the entire world. Read on to learn about these 26 surprising things that you might not expect when moving to Alaska.
1. Wintertime is our best kept secret.
Well, guess the secret is out now! If you're scared of moving to Alaska because of the dreaded winter reputation, pssst... you'll actually love it.
2. But you will probably need to plug in your car a time or two.
Hey, it happens to the best of us. And when shopping for a vehicle, having a plugin with a block heater is never a bad idea in Alaska.
3. Our traditions are fun, awesome and hilarious all at the same time.
If running with reindeer isn't normal to you now, it soon will be. Hold on tight!
4. There is a huge sense of pride for Alaska Native culture, and you will fall in love with it.
It truly is remarkable to learn about the foundation of the Alaska Native heritage and culture.
5. We have the most amazing beaches.
With over 6,640 miles of coastline, we'd say this one is kind of a given!
6. Our hiking, biking and running trails are seemingly endless.
Endless exploration is a way of life in Alaska.
7. Four legged companions are family in Alaska.
Our state sport is Dog Mushing so it only makes sense that dogs are treated just like family in Alaska. And it's pretty PAWsome if you ask us!
8. You will never look at kayaking the same after doing it in Alaska.
I mean... one look at that picture and we know you won't be able to disagree. Once you do it in person, you will instantly be hooked.
9. People still actively dredge for gold throughout Alaska.
Heck yes they do! Just look for some black sand and search for the sparkle. Best of luck to ya, pals!
10. The people in Alaska are so nice and hospitable, you will never want to leave.
It's just SO TRUE. People in Alaska are a different kind of breed. You will surely be amazed.
11. Island life in Alaska is totally achievable.
With over 2,670 islands in Alaska - you can live the ultimate island lifestyle!
12. Every mountain you saw before getting to Alaska is now just considered a hill.
Alaska trumps everywhere else. We hate to brag but... just kidding, we love to brag! Our mountains are life changing!
13. Natural hot springs are available to soak in all around the state.
There is no better way to enjoy a crisp, snowy winter day than by soaking in a natural hot spring. It's awesome all year round as well.
14. We have some of the most beautiful waterfalls.
With around 43 named waterfalls throughout the last frontier, your eyes will be spoiled with sights of natural beauty.
15. You can drive for a few hours (or take a quick plane ride) and be in a totally different region, and it’s magical.
This is one of the (many) things that makes Alaska so special. Each region is so vastly different, you'll fall in love all over again just by simply embarking on a road trip.
16. Bush planes are daily commuters for many in Alaska.
It's known that we have more pilots per capita than any other state in the nation, and the mere remoteness of Alaska is a good indication as to why.
17. Oh yeah and the term “bush” which describes remote Alaska, get used to hearing that. It’s normal now.
Might seem a little odd at first, but 'living in the bush' is what life in remote villages is referred to.
18. Many jobs in Alaska provide the ultimate work/life balance.
When you get to work hard and play harder, you know you've come to the right state.
19. The wildlife are actually everywhere and it’s so awesome.
Incredibly awesome, amazing, fantastic. You have deer? Check out this moose - only in Alaska!
20. We have some of the best camping spots in the world.
On the beach or far into the backcountry, our camping spots truly are second to none. And so are our RV spots!
21. We have a flourishing entertainment and preforming arts scene.
Alaska is really taking off in this regard, and locals are loving all the plays, shows and concerts consistently coming to the last frontier.
22. You will go through a breakup once a year, and you won't shed a single tear.
That awkward season between winter and spring, yeah... be sure to invest in a pair of Xtratuf's.
23. The Northern Lights will actually blow your mind.
Like, totally and completely blow your mind. They look cool in pictures but then when you experience them in person, they completely transcend your whole body.
24. Glacier gazing is something that will surely become one of your favorite hobbies.
With 616 officially named glaciers in Alaska, it's easy to fall in love with their vast size, booming sounds of calving and piercing blue colors.
25. If you’re a water baby, you can surf and paddle board in Alaska.
You heard that right, folks! Just be sure to wear a wet suit or you will not make it very far. 😉
26. You will never be bored.