Alaska is like one big, giant, outlandishly beautiful outdoor playground. No matter where you go, you’ll feel like you are on vacation. The natural beauty in the last frontier is elevated to a totally unexplainable level of awesomeness and the amount of activities available at your disposal are seemingly never ending. Best of all? The most epic adventures come at a free-ninety-nine price tag. Get ready to fall in love with the last frontier all over again.
1. Go Glacier Gazing anywhere in the last frontier.
Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Exit Glacier in Seward or all the hanging glaciers on the way to Whittier in Prince William Sound. So many options, so many bucket lists to fill!
2. Bag summits in the Chugach State Park.
Because getting high on mountains is what life is really all about.
3. Explore endless epic beauty at the Eagle River Nature Center.
Go hiking, biking or spend the night in a state cabin. You'll never want to leave this magical place.
4. Get refreshed and revived by the lush rainforest in the Tongass National Forest.
17 million acres and the largest national forest in the US. This place is paradise, baby!
5. Pack up the tent and decompress by unplugging and spending the night outdoors.
Get cozy and soak in the fresh air and the sounds of silence that surround you. This is an all-year-round activity if you're tough enough to brave the winter elements.
6. Go aurora hunting and feel good about losing a little sleep.
Because... ALASKA IS CALLING, and you must go!
7. Find a secluded sandy spot and go beach combing from sun up to sun down.
Alaska beaches are secluded and utterly peaceful. We'll gladly trade some chillier temps for the beauty that our beaches behold.
8. Watch the salmon run in one of Alaska’s many creeks, streams, lakes and rivers.
Just undeniably beautiful!
9. Or take it up a notch and wet a line – you might get lucky and reel one in!
Fish... it's what's for dinner!
10. Take a scenic drive on the renowned Seward Highway.
The larger-than-life beauty makes it hard to keep your eyes on the road, so make sure to pull over at all the scenic pull outs.
11. Grab a group of friends and throw a couple rounds of disc golf.
These courses can be found all over the great 49th state.
12. Go adventuring in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge.
This 1.92 million acre wildlife preserve is filled with outdoor fun, no matter what time of year it is.
13. In the wintertime, head to a frozen lake for some family ice skating or hockey fun.
These groomed areas are all over Anchorage, Juneau, Soldotna, Wasilla and around the state. Find your favorite and make it a tradition!
14. Bundle up and check out all the incredible ice sculptures downtown.
Downtown Anchorage has spectacular displays during the winter months, and the Aurora Ice Museum in Fairbanks is a great place to enjoy a year-round abundance of these incredible works of art (with a small admission fee).
15. Go wildlife viewing by simply walking out your front door.
Because it's raw and rugged in the last frontier... so you don't have to go far to enjoy these majestic creatures in their natural environment.
16. Hit up the backcountry for some peaceful snowshoeing, snowboarding or cross country skiing.
Turnagain Pass and Thompson Pass are two stellar options, but your choices are literally unlimited in the last frontier. Going into the backcountry is a great alternative to waiting in line at the ski resorts.
17. Winter Wednesdays are everything at the Alaska Sealife Center.
Every Wednesday from November 2, 2016 through February 22, 2017 Alaska residents receive free general admission to the Alaska SeaLife Center upon presenting a valid ID. This is a great excuse to load up the family and head south to enjoy some incredible Kenai Peninsula views!
18. Take a walk or just relax and soak in the views at the Potter’s Marsh in Anchorage.
A sweet little nature escape, right within the largest city in Alaska.
19. Chase the sunrise...
Because it's free to set your alarm clock early, head to a special spot and take in the morning cup o' colorful Joe!
20. Or the sunset!
Because you'll regret it if you don't!