Alabama June 24, 2015
Here Are 14 Things People From Alabama Are Always Having To Explain To Visitors
There are so many different things that people in Alabama are constantly having to explain to visitors. If you’re an Alabama resident, the list below probably sounds familiar. And if you’re currently planning to visit Alabama for the very first time, this list will definitely help you. So, let’s take a look at 14 things that people in Alabama are always having to explain to visitors.
1. Birmingham is NOT the capital of Alabama.
Montgomery is the capital of Alabama. Because Birmingham is the largest city in Alabama, many people assume it's also the capital.
2. The summer humidity in Alabama is AWFUL!
And complaining about it won't help. If you visit Alabama during the summer, be sure to drink lots of water and bring extra shirts. Reason being, you can go outside for as little as 5 minutes and come back in completely soaked. Hey, I told you the summer humidity is awful!
3. Don't forget to pack mosquito repellent.
You'll definitely need it! Trust me!
4. Here in Alabama, the only way to drink tea is sweet.
Is there really any other way?
5. Forrest Gump is NOT a real person.
And the town of Greenbow doesn't exist either, so there's no need to stop and ask for directions.
6. When we go shopping, we use a buggy.
We have no clue what this "shopping cart" is that so many other people use.
7. Alabama has the BEST peaches EVER...
If you don't believe me, stop by Peach Park in Clanton to see for yourself. Peach Park is located at: 2300 7th St S, Clanton, AL 35046.
and the BEST barbecue!
Yep! Here in Alabama, we know the true meaning of GREAT barbecue!
8. Mobile is the birthplace of America's original Mardi Gras.
Many people assume New Orleans was the birthplace of America's original Mardi Gras, but Mardi Gras in Mobile (1703) was going on for 15 years before the city of New Orleans was even founded (1718.)
9. No, you can't purchase lottery tickets here in Alabama.
Maybe someday, but for now you'll have to go and get them at the Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida state lines like the rest of us have to do.
10. The mention of "snow" causes everyone in Alabama to panic, so be prepared.
Also, be prepared for everything to shut down. Oh, and don't expect to find milk, bread or eggs ANYWHERE!
11. Alabama does NOT have a professional football team.
We're too busy cheering for our AWESOME college teams to worry about a professional team.
12. Space Camp is NOT in Florida.
It's actually located in Huntsville at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
13. If you hear a loud siren, there's probably a tornado headed your way.
Don't go outside looking for a funnel. Instead, do the sensible thing and take shelter.
14. Everything tastes better straight out of the deep fryer.
Here in Alabama, we don't know the meaning of healthy food. Fried foods all the way!
What are some other things you’re constantly having to explain to visitors? Let me know in the comments below!