Alabama June 06, 2017
11 Awkward Moments Every Alabamian Has Endured At Least Once
As Alabamians, we’re used to being different from everyone else. For example, we have our own way of doing things that may seem strange to outsiders, but normal to us. Many times we’ve also been put in situations that have become quite awkward. Listed below are 11 awkward moments every Alabamian has endured at least once. How many of these can you relate to?
1. Having to explain to an outsider that not every Alabamian lives on a farm.
Most people who don't live in Alabama automatically assume everyone here lives on a farm. Not true! Many city folks also call Alabama home.
2. Getting lost on Alabama's backroads.
Alabamians have been known to take backroads to get to their destination. What can we say? We love taking the scenic route!
3. Getting a strange look from your server when you order sweet tea from an out-of-state restaurant.
Sure, there are sweetener packets on the table. However, we all know those just won't do.
4. Encountering a deer while driving down one of Alabama's rural roads.
Whether they're grazing on the side of the road, standing in the middle of it, or darting across it, we've all encountered a deer at least once. After all, this is Alabama.
5. Having to explain Alabama's obsession with college football to an outsider.
To outsiders, Alabamians seem to have an obsession with college football. However, here in Alabama, college football isn't an obsession. It's a way of life. Agree?
6. Getting stuck behind some type of farm equipment when you're running late for work or an important event.
If this has never happened to you, consider yourself lucky. It's quite common to see farm equipment on Alabama's roads, especially in smaller towns.
7. Arriving to the grocery store a bit too late when snow is in the forecast.
Here in Alabama, the slightest mention of snow throws everyone into a frenzy. If you don't already have milk and eggs, good luck. Chances are when you arrive to the store, you'll be too late.
8. Giving directions in time increments instead of miles.
When an outsider asks how far a place is, we typically tell them the length of time it'll take to arrive instead of the number of miles. Yes, they think our response is anything but normal.
9. Having to repeat yourself over and over again because of your thick accent.
Who hasn't had to do this? As a matter of fact, some of us have to repeat ourselves over and over again to fellow Alabamians because our accent is so strong.
10. Mispronouncing some of Alabama's town names to an outsider.
This might not seem awkward at first, but wait until you mispronounce the town you live in. Many Alabamians can't pronounce their town's name correctly.
11. Not knowing how to dress for Alabama's unpredictable weather.
It might be 80 degrees one day in Alabama, and 30 degrees the next. Deciding what to wear each day can be quite the struggle.
Have you endured any of these awkward moments? What other awkward moments can be added to this list? Share them with us!