Alabama May 06, 2015
Here Are 14 Unique Alabama Day Trips That Are An Absolute Must-Do
If you’re feeling bored, one of the best things you can do to pass the time is take a day trip. Exploring an abandoned movie set, hiking the tallest mountain, and rummaging through lost luggage in search of a bargain – these are just a few of the many things you can do on an Alabama day trip. These 14 Alabama day trips are an absolute must-do.
1. Take a walk on the wild side and visit the Birmingham Zoo.
2. Visit Ave Maria Grotto - a four-acre park on the grounds of St. Bernard Abbey that has a garden setting for 125 miniature reproductions of some of the most religious buildings in the world. Ave Maria Grotto is known throughout the world as "Jerusalem in Miniature" and is located in Cullman.
3. Spend a day of hiking in the beautiful Bankhead National Forest.
4. Explore the Birmingham Museum of Art to see one of the finest art collections in the Southeast.
5. If you're a fan of films, you can take a drive to the fictional town of Spectre from Tim Burton's film, Big Fish. This fictional town is an abandoned film set that's situated on a private island along the banks of the Alabama River.
6. Take a swim in one of Alabama's many lakes.
7. Spend the day at Cheaha State Park and climb Alabama's tallest mountain - Mt. Cheaha.
8. Take a tour of FAME Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals - home of the Muscle Shoals Sound.
9. Take a scenic drive along the Natchez Trace Parkway.
10. Visit the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville to learn all about NASA's latest innovations.
11. Spend the day playing a round of golf on one of Alabama's many beautiful golf courses.
12. Take a trip to Scottsboro to rummage through the aisles of the Unclaimed Baggage Center, aka "Land of Lost Luggage." You never know what you'll find!
13. Spend the day exploring vineyards and tasting wines in Alabama's wine country.
14. Take a drive to the coast to enjoy a relaxing day at the beach.
Where is your favorite place to take a day trip?