We all knew people who grew up near or in the big city, and had museums in their backyard and went to huge high schools. But, you know, growing up in a small town in Wisconsin probably was better. In fact, a small town in Wisconsin may just be the best place to grow up. Here are 12 reasons why this is the case.
1. Everyone knows where you live.
And you grew up knowing your neighbors. It felt safe.
2. Someone competent was always there to help put things back together when they broke.
And the community was willing to pitch in and help if your family was in a bad way.
3. When of age, the town bars were the best.
At these joints, it is true that everyone knows your name. Who hasn't had an awesome night in a bar like this?
4. If someone was having a barbecue, you and your family were totally invited.
And boy were those fun!
5. At least one of your friends had a big old pickup.
These were very helpful when you decided to finally move out of mom and dad's house or when dad came to pick you up to move back in.
6. Cows seemed like they outnumbered people sometimes.
It was awesome and peaceful to see these sweet creatures all around.
7. You had at least one friend who lived on a farm.
Being able to sit in a tractor or milk a cow was amazing.
8. You grow up knowing the cops.
And hopefully they know you from around town, not because they had to pick your butt up for crime!
9. Dating doesn't require background checks.
Hey, chances were that you all grew up together. And so there are no skeletons in those closets.
10. Friday nights were epic.
Who doesn't remember the whole community coming together during those crisp Wisconsin nights to take in the big game?
11. Going to the mall was a huge family experience.
In small towns, the gas station might be the only place to shop. Mall trips were amazing.
12. You probably have friends for life.
It is not at all uncommon for people to stay friends forever, and for their parents to have been friends forever. It's small town Wisconsin.
Growing up in a small town is fantastic and living in one as an adult is just as great!