menu search

The Remnants Of This Abandoned Gas Company In Wisconsin Are Hauntingly Beautiful

Back before there were pipelines criss-crossing the country, natural gas was created in areas that didn’t have it naturally occurring. Built in 1906, the Milwaukee Solvay Coke and Gas Co. built a plant on Milwaukee’s near south side. It operated until April, 1983 and the remains of the company have been abandoned ever since.

It’s a large parcel of land in a desirable area that the city has hoped to clear and reuse for years. But due to the nature of the work done there, it needs to undergo intense – and expensive – cleanup under the eye of the EPA to take care of toxic arsenic, lead, asbestos and other chemicals. These dangerous substances were used in the plant’s operation and are present in the mold that has grown in the years since it was abandoned.

Want to see more abandoned beauty? Check out 13 Abandoned Buildings Across Wisconsin That Are Creepy Yet Beautiful.