No matter where I go, how far I go away from this mountain state, I can always spot a true West Virginian. As if their license plate doesn’t give it away, these 13 ways to know a West Virginian are fool-proof.
1) If you mispronounce "Appalachia," we cringe.
Compass Points Media Flickr
2) We bleed Blue and Gold! (Or Green and White!)
West Virginians are very dedicated fans when it comes to Marshall's Thundering Herd or West Virginia University's Mountaineers! Dis either University and see how quickly you get kicked out!
3) It's a buggy, not a shopping cart!
Yes, a buggy, like a horse buggy. Don't ask me where it started, just don't question it at all! Its what my Mama always said and her Mama, too. We all have grown up saying it.
4) Ask us if we are all "one big family." Go on, do it. I dare you.
Contrary to popular belief, we all aren't kissing cousins. While I can't speak for everyone, I don't date any of my grandparents.
5) Whats on their hot dog?
Is it sauce and slaw? Yep, they're a true West Virginian.
6) Sing one line to John Denver's "Country Roads" and we all join in.
Its in our nature to love this song, and we can't help but sing along anytime we hear it.
7) For whatever reason, we measure in minutes instead of miles.
If you tell me, "Its only 10 miles away," I'll say, "Okay, but how far away is it really?" Miles tells me nothing, but if you say, "Oh, its only ten minutes away/two hours away," then I'll understand you.
8) One leg is significantly shorter than the other.
I'm just kidding, this is a total joke. We actually hate it when we get asked this! Like, no, I don't climb mountains every day. I'm civilized and I have a functioning vehicle.
9) Our breath may smell like ramps.
Unless you're like me, and you hate ramps! Ramps have a very strong, undeniable odor that won't leave your person for a few days. So break out the Trident gum if you plan on chowing down on some ramps. No, really, please do.
10) We actually wear shoes!
Contrary to popular belief, we actually do own shoes! How crazy it is to think that people really do wonder if we wear shoes or not. And they think we're the stupid ones!
11) We are perhaps setting a couch on fire.
Yes, a couch, not a sofa. These Mountaineer fans go beyond extreme when it comes to dedication!
12) We wear a toboggan on our heads, and we ride sleds in the snow!
We don't ride a toboggan and if you ask a West Virginian that, they'll look at you like they just smelled onions.
13) If you ask where we are from, we might just reply "West By God Virginia."
Maybe its just because we think that God graced this world with West Virginia once we were finally no longer apart of Virginia! No matter though, we are proud residents of this mountain state!
According to the rest of the world, we should have no shoes on, have one short leg, and be hugging on our siblings.
But we know better than that! These 13 ways to spot a West Virginian are almost always true.