Curious to know if you live in one of the richest or poorest places in West Virginia? Here’s a list of the 10 richest counties in the state, according to the latest U.S. Census Data available (from the 2010 census). This list shows the counties with the 10 highest per capita income, meaning it’s the number you get if you add everyone’s income together and divide it by the number of people.
1. Jefferson County is the richest in West Virginia, according to U.S. Census Data from 2010.
Jefferson County, where Shepherdstown and Charles Town are, has a per capita income of $29,733.
2. Putnam County is the second richest county in the state.
According to Census data, its residents make on average $25,857 a year. Putnam cities include Winfield, Hurricane, and Teays Valley.
3. Berkeley is the third richest county.
Its residents make $25,460 a year, according to Census data. Martinsburg is in Berkeley County.
4. Kanawha County is fourth among the richest counties in West Virginia.
According to census data, its per capita income is $25,439. Kanawha County cities include the state capital Charleston, as well of Dunbar, South Charleston and others.
5. Fifth on the list of the richest counties in WV is Ohio County, where Wheeling is the county seat.
Its residents make on average $23,950 a year.
6. Hancock County is the 6th richest county in the state.
Its per capita income is $23,118 per year. The county seat of Hancock County in New Cumberland.
7. Monongalia County is the seventh richest county in West Virginia.
It has a per capita income of $23,116. Morgantown is in Monongalia.
8. Wood County is the eighth richest county.
It has an average income of $22,890 per year. Parkersburg is in Wood County.
9. Brooke County is the ninth richest county in West Virginia.
It has an average income of $22,377 per year. Pictured is Wellsburg, its county seat.
10. Cabell County rounds out the list of the 10 richest counties in WV.
It has an average income of $21,907. Pictured is a scene from its county seat, Huntington.
Were you surprised at all that these are the counties with the highest incomes? Which ones and why?