What’s a better way to connect with mother earth than to grab a backpack, go hiking, and take in the natural beauty that this planet has to offer? If there is a better way, I have yet to discover it. These fifteen hiking destinations in our beautiful mountain state will absolutely blow you away, so grab a water bottle (or two) and your shades and visit any of these amazing locations.
1) Big Schloss, located near Wardensville, WV.
Pictured above is a beautiful sunset along the Big Schloss is located in the George Washington National Forest. It is only 4.4 miles long, so it would be considered an easy hike.
2) Dolly Sods Wilderness, located in Cabins, WV.
Look at this magnificent sunset in Dolly Sods Wilderness. This would be an ideal hiking location because of all of the amazing scenery.
3) Raven Rock trail, located in Morgantown, WV.
This view off of Raven Rock is stunning.
4) The Endless Wall trail is a cliff line that follows the New River Gorge for two miles.
It looks like it goes on forever!
5) Pictured here are the High Falls of Cheat, located in Glady, WV.
The hiking trails will lead you to this beautiful and popular waterfall of West Virginia.
6) The Kaymoor Trail is another trail that follows along the New River in the Fayetteville area.
7) North Bend Rail Trail. This 72 mile-long rail trail extends from near Clarksburg, WV, to near Parkersburg, WV.
Pictured above is the path back to the North Bend State Park campground from the rail trail. Look at that lush, bright green grass!
8) Located in the Monogahela National Forest is the Seneca Creek Trail, which is in Riverton, WV.
There are wonderful camping locations along this trail, and you'll also see plenty of beautiful streams and amazing views like the one pictured.
9) This view can be seen in Blackwater Falls State Park, located in Davis, WV.
I don't think that I have ever seen a more amazing sunset! Blackwater Falls is more often known for the incredible waterfalls, but the hiking trails are so underrated! If you are ever visiting Blackwater Falls, consider hiking up to see the stunning views!
10) The overlook at Maryland Heights trail, located across the river from Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, WV.
Maryland Heights is a must-see! This mountain overlooks the historic town of Harpers Ferry!
11) The beautiful Kanawha State Forest is located just outside of the capitol city, Charleston.
This amazing park has many hiking trails available, and some of the most magnificent trees and wildflowers that you will ever see!
12) At 4,863 feet, Spruce Knob is not only the highest point in the state of West Virginia, it is the highest peak in the Allegheny Mountains.
Even the trails that lead up to Spruce Knob are stunning! The climb up to get to this high point will all be worth it when you look out over these mountains and forget that your back and feet are hurting.
13) The Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, located in Davis. WV.
Pictured above is the beaver pond, located along one of the great hiking trails.
14) Valley Falls State Park is located just outside of Fairmont, WV.
This beautiful state park offers 18 miles of hiking trails! You can visit any of the four waterfalls while you are out on the trails. Isn't it just picture perfect?
15) The Appalachian Trail, entering West Virginia at Harpers Ferry by this footbridge.
It only extends through West Virginia for about four miles before it goes into Virginia. For those that do not know, the Appalachian Trail is more than 2,100 miles long and it passes through 14 states! What an amazing photo!