1. The rain doesn’t bother you.
If you’re from Western Washington, you’re used to it. If you’re from Eastern Washington or Central Washington, you know rain is necessary for the beautiful crops around you. Besides, it makes the air smell wonderful.
2. You are very opinionated about your music.
Washingtonians love their music, and while their tastes may vary, they’re always ready for a conversation about their favorite musicians, both well-known and obscure or up-and-coming.
3. You feel “off” if you don’t live near a body of water.
Between the gorgeous Washington Coast, the Puget Sound and all the lakes and rivers in every part of the state, everyone who grows up in Washington lives close to water. And they like it that way.
4. You enjoy reading. A lot.
If someone asks you what you’d do if you had more hours in your days and one of your answers is “read,” you might be a Washingtonian.
5. You have a strong loyalty to either the Cougars or the Huskies…
… even if you never went to either school. Loyalties are formed young.
6. You eat apples from other places and you’re a little disappointed.
No offense, other states. But a fresh, crisp apple from Yakima, Wenatchee or Walla Walla just can’t be beat.
7. You enjoy your beer or wine.
Or both. And you know that most Washington wine tops anything Napa or Sonoma can produce.
8. You know more about the Lewis and Clark Expedition than you do about the Pilgrims and Plymouth Rock.
Nearly every high school in the state has required classes on Pacific Northwest history, where you learn about all the cool things that happened in Washington many years ago.
9. You’re passionate about recycling.
It’s just second nature to toss an empty coffee cup or soda can in the appropriate bin rather than the trash.
10. You’re familiar with (and love) Tim’s Cascade chips, Beecher’s cheese, Cougar Gold and Jones Soda.
Not to mention Theo's chocolate.
11. You own (or did own) a ton of hoodies.
Spring can be cold in Eastern Washington and very damp in Western Washington. No matter which part of the state you call home, a hoodie collection is essential.
12. You can travel all over the world and even live in other places, but you’re always excited to come home.
If you’re from Washington, it will always be home. Nothing else can ever quite compare.