Now that winter is nearly here in Washington, you might be wondering why you shouldn’t be dreading this cold season. We all may be able to agree that it isn’t the best time of year in our state, but here are 10 reasons in particular why you should look forward to the upcoming months:
1. Our snowcapped peaks are even more gorgeous to see this time of year...
Whether you see them in the distance or you're brave enough to climb up top this season, our mountains are absolutely breathtaking to look at during the winter. Pictured is Mount Shuksan!
2. ...and to ski or snowboard down!
Ready to hit the slopes yet? Most of the ski resorts are now opening for the 2015 season and there's nothing like a day out on the mountain.
3. Flannel and wool socks are so much more cozy during the winter.
Besides, it's way too hot to wear them during the spring and summer, so a season when you can pull out some of the most comfortable clothing in your wardrobe can't be all that bad.
4. Winter festivals are especially magical.
If you haven't experienced the Christmas Lighting Festival in Leavenworth, it's definitely one of many events in our state worth checking out next month. The first three weekends in December in this
are filled with festive lights, Christmas carolers and holiday cheer everywhere!
5. And you can find the most unique gifts at holiday craft bazaars this season.
Holiday craft bazaars are basically huge seasonal sales where you can walk around and find unique things by local artists. There's a wide assortment of handcrafted items, all of which make for one-of-a-kind gifts that you can't find in stores.
6. We still have some scenic trails that are open to explore this time of year.
Who says a little cold weather should stop you from enjoying the great outdoors? If you're up for a winter adventure, some
paths that are still open
include the Thunder Creek Trail in the North Cascades Park, Boulder River Trail near Darrington, Cape Alava - Sand Point Loop on the Olympic Peninsula and many more.
7. If it snows, we can go sledding!
In addition to skiing and snowboarding, there aren't many more winter activities as exhilarating as finding a nice, steep hill to sled down after the first snowfall of the year!
8. We can pick up some delicious seasonal beers that aren't available during other times of the year.
Elysian Bifrost Winter Ale, Fish Tale Winterfish, and Red Hook's Winter Ale are a few solid choices brewed in our state this season, to name a few.
9. A warm mug of coffee, hot chocolate, or apple cider just tastes so much better when it's colder out.
Okay let's be honest, it's delicious any time of year... but the warmth of the beverage really hits the spot when you're freezing.
10. Our state truly is a winter wonderland this season.
We may not get as much snowfall as other parts of the world, but when it does there just aren't any more picture perfect scenes than a view of our Evergreen trees covered with a frosty layer!
There’s so much to love about this time of year in our state! What do you enjoy the most about wintertime in Washington?? Add to this list below!