1. The only temperate rainforests in the contiguous U.S. are here in Washington.
The Quinault, Queets, and Hoh Rainforests in the Olympic National Park are all fascinating to explore. They even offer Quinault Rainforest Tours year round!
2. We're home to the largest privately owned car collection in the entire world.
Harold Lemay owned a successful waste management company, so he was able to save up for this grand collection. After his death, the city of Tacoma donated 10 acres of land next to the Tacoma Dome to showcase some of his impressive vehicles.
3. You can also find the largest building in the world by volume here.
The Boeing Everett Factory is an airplane assembly plant and the largest building in the world by volume, measuring in at 472,370,319 cubic feet and covering 98.3 acres.
4. We're paid the highest minimum wage in the country at $9.47 an hour.
We're also lucky to be one of only seven states that doesn't charge a state income tax. Jackpot!
5. Our state leads the nation in all kinds of agricultural production.
Between red raspberries, apples, mint, and hops to make beer, we're certainly one of the biggest suppliers when it comes to farming the country's food.
6. The Grand Coulee Dam is the biggest electric power facility in the nation. It's also the largest structure made out of concrete in the whole world!
This huge dam over the Columbia River was built to produce hydroelectric power and provide irrigation water. It supports four different power houses that contain 33 hydroelectric generators, and is made from 12 million cubic yards of concrete.
7. We're the second largest premium wine producer in the country.
While other states might have a smaller selection when it comes to wine, we're lucky enough to have a wide range of fine picks from our local producers. You'll definitely want to get a taste of these
fabulous Washington wineries
8. We brought the world Microsoft.
From Office to XBOX, Microsoft has introduced some of the most groundbreaking inventions around. You can find their main headquarters out in Redmond!
9. Several online companies were founded here.
, PopCap Games, Expedia, AllRecipes, and Big Fish Games are all well-known websites, and they all started out right here in our state.
10. We have some of the most jaw-dropping mountains.
Between all of our state's mountain ranges like the Olympics and the Cascades, there's definitely no shortage of spectacular summits around here. Pictured is Dome Peak in the Glacier Peak Wilderness.
11. Washington has the largest ferry system in the U.S.
The Washington State Ferry system owns 28 vessels and travels around to 20 ports of call across Puget Sound.
12. And we actually get to experience all four seasons!
Some states don't really get much of a winter, and other places skip right past the fall after summer - but Washington is lucky enough to experience all four seasons individually, and they're all absolutely stunning.