Washington October 01, 2015
12 Reasons Why The World Wouldn’t Be The Same Without Washington
Washington is home to many awesome
inventions as well as several notable firsts, and things would just not be the same without our groundbreaking region! Here are 12 reasons why the world would be much less awesome without us:
1. Those who love gaming wouldn't be able to play XBOX had it not been developed by Microsoft here in 2001!
2. There would also be no Windows operating system, or any office programs like Word, Excel or Powerpoint had Microsoft not developed the software in Redmond in 1990.
3. A lot of delicious beer wouldn't be produced without the hops grown here in the Yakima Valley, which make up 75% of hops grown for the entire country!
4. Shopping online for great deals would just not be the same without Amazon, which was founded in Bellevue in 1994!
5. And delivering all of those important packages to everyone's doorstep wouldn't be possible without the United Parcel Service (UPS), which was also founded in our state by James Casey in 1907.
6. Several other online companies would never have been established either, like Classmates.com, PopCap Games, Expedia, AllRecipes, or Big Fish Games!
7. Father’s Day wouldn't be celebrated every June if it hadn’t been for Sonora Smart Dodd, a 16-year-old student from Spokane who proposed the holiday after her mother passed away, leaving her father to raise her and five brothers. After hearing a sermon at church about Mother’s Day, she was inspired to see that dads received a day of appreciation too!
8. Our state has revolutionized the world's medical history with inventions like the Kidney Dialysis Machine and Portable Heart Defibrillator!
9. We're home to the biggest coffee chain in the world who created everyone's fall favorite, the Pumpkin Spice Latte! Originally it was looked at as just an okay idea compared to other seasonal beverages, but Peter Dukes, lead developer of the drink, saw the delicious potential. The beverage - almost named "Fall Harvest Latte" - first became a hit in 2003 and has been widely enjoyed ever since!
10. Hikers & campers all over the country wouldn't be able to pick up premium outdoor gear at REI had the company not first opened in Seattle in 1938!
11. There wouldn't be nearly as many berries without our state! We lead the nation in red raspberry production, raising over 61 million pounds of berries a year.
12. Without Washington, everyone would miss all of our delicious apples - after all, we are the largest exporter in the U.S.! Tree Top apple juice even uses our fruit to produce their sweet drinks!
Isn’t Washington amazing?? What are some other reasons why the world wouldn’t be the same without our state?