Although Virginia is a diverse state, there are undoubtably some ties that seem to bind us all together. Whether it’s the love of our hometown or certain foods we all go crazy for, there’s really no denying that Virginia is always in our hearts. Because Virginia is for lovers, and we are especially in love with where we’re from.
1. You have a very specific tie to your hometown region...and how it's pronounced.
Example: Roanoke, Staunton, Fauquier, Norfolk, Suffolk. The way you refer to a town can often determine whether or not you're from there.
2. You've got a wardrobe for all four seasons...
3. ...and are prepared to dress for any of them on any given day.
We don't blame the weathermen for leading us astray. Virginia weather can just have a mind of its own sometimes.
4. You might look at someone angrily who claims Virginia is “not really the South”
We don't claim to be the most southern state that ever existed, but the proof's in the geography. And our lovely manners.
5. A quick weekend getaway could be to the mountains, river, or beach.
6. You know more than most about the Founding Fathers.
A majority of the these important leaders hailed from Virginia: James Madison, George Mason, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson.
7. And chances are you've taken a field trip or two to some of their homes.
Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.
8. Speaking of field trips, there is no shortage of them in VA.
Even as an adult, you could never tire of visiting Colonial Williamsburg or historic Jamestown.
9. You know that Dogwoods are sacred.
The Dogwood is the state flower and tree. The blooms are just that beautiful.
10. And so are Hubs salted peanuts, y'all.
These are hands down the best peanuts out there.
11. You say y'all.
Sometimes, it's "you all."
12. You've marked your calendar with folk festivals, music festivals, and food festivals.
They're wonderful and can be found all over the state, any time of the year.
13. You know vanity plates are the norm.
Your eye is trained to read all license plates as vanity plates, even if it's just a random series of letters and numbers.
14. You probably have a can or two of brunswick stew stored away in the pantry at any given time.
15. You are a loyal Redskins fan.
We don't mind that they're from Washington DC and play in Landover, Maryland; the true support base for the Redskins is here in Virginia.
16. You’re proud the Nation’s capital is so close, but will be the first to point out that DC is not Virginia.
That traffic might be contagious!
17. You know that the cities here stop for snow. And you're just fine with that.
Where there's a snowflake, there's a cancellation.
18. You've got a strong feeling about NoVA.
Let's just say if you live there you love it, and if you don't...you might be baffled by it.
19. UVa versus Virginia Tech: you've chosen your side and you're sticking to it.
The terms Wahoo and Hokie mean serious business around here.
20. You know that iced tea (sweet tea) goes with just about everything.
Smithfield ham, barbecue sandwiches, you name it!
21. There's no place you'd rather be, because there's no place like it.
What do you think it is that makes being from here so unique? Share your love of Virginia in the comments below!