Have you ever been somewhere and had this feeling that you just BELONGED? I’m not saying it happens to everyone – and it certainly doesn’t happen everywhere. But when it does, it’s a little bit o’ magic. Then again, you might be on the fence…so here are a few signs, just in case you were wondering, that you definitely belong in Virginia….
1. You don't even notice people in period costume.
Women in bonnets, men with bayonets, and a good fife and drum band is just another day in Virginia for you.
2. You are prepared for anything when it comes to the weather.
You know that it will most likely be cool in the morning, hot in the afternoon, and raining in the evening, so can layer like a champ and know to keep an umbrella handy.
3. You know how to get down and dirty in the garden and/or appreciate those who do.
You crave homegrown tomatoes like most people crave chocolate and can't get enough of a farmer's market full of fresh Virginia produce.
4. You can keep a beat.
Or you at least know how to fake it. With so much amazing music around every corner in Virginia - at festivals, clubs, concerts in the park, on the street, or at a backyard bbq - even those of us who are tone deaf know how to appreciate the talent around us.
5. You love the water.
How could you not? Lakes, rivers, or the ocean…there's just nothing more calming than a Virginia shoreline.
6. When the mountains call…you answer.
And that's why you keep a pair of hiking boots or walking shoes in the back of your car…just in case.
7. You love all 4 seasons, but when spring hits…it's game on.
One warm day after a long winter and you're out in full force - flip flops on - ready to soak up every second of sunshine.
8. But that doesn't mean you don't love a good snow day…
What's the point of having all four seasons if you can't enjoy them?
9. And you know the best fireworks happen in the fall.
10. You laugh in the face of mosquitoes.
Bring it, bloodsuckers. They won't keep you from enjoying a Virginia summer.
11. Same goes for the humidity.
You have your ways of dealing. A refreshing beverage and a spot in the shade…yep, that should do the trick.
12. You have a stack of handwritten recipes passed down for generations.
Because nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can make biscuits like your grandmother.
13. If you were on “Jeopardy,” you would OWN any American History category.
That's right, Alex, I'll take "U.S. Presidents" for $1,000.
14. You drive like a ninja during deer season…so pretty much always.
You can spot 'em and dodge'em without batting an eye.
15. And in Northern Virginia construction…so again, pretty much always.
You could be a stunt driver if you wanted to. You're just that good.
16. You don’t have an accent. Everyone else does.
This is just a fact.
17. You don’t know what it means to be bored.
You know how to get out there and take advantage of all of the amazing sites, activities, and adventures that make Virginia the best place to live on earth.
18. You know that there’s just no place like home.
Even if you've tried to leave…and maybe even succeeded…there's a part of your heart that will always call Virginia home.
You don’t have to check every box to know that you belong in Virginia, of course. But these are some pretty good signs that you do! What did we leave off? Let us know in the comments below!