There’s something about nighttime photography that steps into another time and space. When talented photographers like the ones showcased here use tools like time lapse and long exposures, they are able to capture and hold moments that would have, otherwise, been over in a flash. (No pun intended, I promise.) The following images show familiar scenes and places around the state, but with darkness as a backdrop, we get to see them from a brand new perspective.
1. Richmond Clock Tower during rush hour.
2. Fourth of July gone mad at Lake Thoreau in Reston.
These perfectly timed explosions of color and light lend a new level of excitement and wonder to 4th of July fireworks.
3. A snowstorm of stars.
The stars look more like snowflakes falling in the photo.
4. Long exposure photography in Bristow.
An ordinary car ride becomes a tunnel of lights when shooting a 30 second exposure from the highway in Bristow.
5. A dizzying carousel ride at the Virginia State Fair in Doswell.
Fortunately, carousels don't go this fast, but thanks to some clever photography, the resulting image is pretty amazing.
6. Blood Moon over Crystal City.
This will also be the name of my first rock album -- as soon as I get a band. And learn to play an instrument.
7. More from the State Fair…
Another perfectly executed photograph from the State Fair results in this kaleidoscope of color.
8. Route 1 in Crystal City looks more like Space Mountain in this long exposure shot.
This image looks more like it should be a ride at the State Fair than a main thoroughfare in Northern Virginia.
9. Richmond at 18th and Main.
I only wish the city was always this magical with twinkling lights and sparkling colors.
10. Nighttime reflections in Jackson Ward.
The world turns upside down in this mirror image.
11. The East Coast from space
No, this isn't ONLY Virginia, but it's too beautiful of a photo to pass up. Taken from the International Space Station by one of the Expedition 30 crew members, this image shows many recognizable urban areas, including Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
12. A summer storm near Warrenton.
Nature's fireworks are no less breathtaking than a 4th of July display.
13. Time-lapse of a NASA rocket launch at Wallop's Island.
This time-lapse photograph of the Cosmic Infrared Background Experiment (CIBER) rocket launch was at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility, beautifully blending four launches into a single amazing photo.
14. Patriotic sparklers in Arlington.
This image was perfectly orchestrated.
15. The Norfolk skyline by night.
The Norfolk skyline becomes doubly beautiful when reflected in the still water.
16. Williamsburg by moonlight.
The moonlight in this photo creates an ethereal feel to this Williamsburg scene.
I hope you have enjoyed these images as much as I have. Do you have a favorite? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below?