Vermont is famous for its world class cheeses, and the VT Cheese Trail is a great way to taste your way through the state. The trail was designed by the
Vermont Cheese Council and it includes 49 artisanal cheese makers throughout Vermont and it even has its own map. Let’s take a look at a few of the cheeses you’ll find along the trail, but we recommend you try them all!
1. Parish Hill Creamery - Westminster West
This family endeavor produces mouthwatering handmade raw milk cheese like you've never had before.
2. Woodcock Farm Cheese Company - 30 Woodcock Lane, Weston
This small farm produces cheese that's big on flavor as well as names. Which would you try first? The Timberdoodle, Magic Mountain, Jersey Girl, Humble Pie, True Blue, Kind of Blue, Summer Snow, Marinated Feta or Weston Wheel?
3. Crowley Cheese - 14 Crowley Ln, Mount Holly
Everything here is done the old fashioned way, and the result is delicious cheese - pure and simple. Crowley Cheese began in Winfield Crowley's kitchen in 1824, and the Crowley Cheese Factory, built in 1882, is the oldest cheese factory in America.
4. Plymouth Artisan Cheese - 106 Messer Hill Rd, Plymouth
Plymouth Artisan Cheese was picked in 2015 as one of Oprah's favorite things. Yes - That Oprah! Try it yourself and we're sure it will become one of your favorites too!
5. Vermont Farmstead Cheese Co. - 3786 Church Hill Road, South Woodstock
In 2009, a community came together to save a dairy farm on an 18-acre hillside. Soon after the farm was transformed into an award winning cheese company, and they have continued to produce a variety of excellent cheeses that are unique to Vermont.
6. Mountain Home Farm - 213 Bicknell Hill Road, Tunbridge
Mountain Home Farm is founded on a passion for grass-based dairy farming. Delicious cheeses and butters await you!
7. Blue Ledge Farm - 2001 Old Jerusalem Road, Salisbury
If you're looking for a new favorite treat, try the Middlebury Blue and local honey on a cracker. It's out of this world!
8. Champlain Valley Creamery - 88 Mainelli Road, Middlebury
If you like organic, you'll love these organic cheeses! Cream cheese, American cheese and a wonderful Mexican cheese will delight your senses.
9. Vermont Creamery - 20 Pitman Road, Websterville
This farm crafts artisanal dairy products in the European style through a vital link with local farms. Vermont Creamery supports a network of more than 15 family farms, providing milk meeting the highest standards of purity.
10. Crooked Mile Cheese - 4962 Old County Road, Waterford
All Crooked Mile Cheese is lovingly handmade from start to finish. The quality of this cheese starts with the health and happiness of their own dairy goats.
11. Sage Farm Goat Dairy - 2248 West Hill Road, Stowe
Nestled in the quaint town of Stowe, the Sage Farm Goat Dairy makes delicious cheese that can be found in local shops as well as restaurants.
12. Shelburne Farms - 1611 Harbor Road, Shelburne
The Shelburne Museum is a popular destination, but don't pass by without seeing Shelburne Farms and their working farm and teaching center where they make their award winning cheeses.
13. Willow Hill Farm - 313 Hardscrabble Road, Milton
Handcrafted internationally award winning cheese is available in their self-serve retail/viewing room in Milton. They also have pick your own blueberries in July and August!
14. Sweet Rowen Farmstead - 538 Lafont Road, West Glover
This small family owned dairy farm is currently milking 16 cows, many of which are Vermont Heritage Breed Linebacks. You'll love the bottled, pasteurized, non-homogenized milk as well as a delicious variety of cheeses that can be found throughout the NEK.
15. Boston Post Dairy, LLC - 2061 Sampsonville Road, Enosburg Falls
Stop in to visit the goats and try some fresh chevre goat cheese. You can also find goats milk soap, 100% Pure Vermont maple syrup and other maple products and so much more.
16. Spoonwood Cabin Creamery - 3090 VT Route 100, Jacksonville
This French style cheese is hand-crafted and aged in caves on the property. Their weekend shop offers all their cheese varieties, as well as a great selection of wine, beer and cider to top if off.
17. AlpineGlo Farm - 91 Clark Street, Westminster
This small family farm is located about 2 miles from Bellows Falls and they raise a variety of animals including a small herd of Alpine dairy goats. Fresh goat's milk is available for on-farm pick-up March through December so please call to arrange a time. Plan to stay for a while too – they love to show off the farm!
18. Taylor Farm - 825 Route 11, Londonderry
This 180 year old working dairy farm that produces award winning gouda with flavors such as traditional flavored, maple smoked, garlic, maple smoked garlic, one year aged, chipotle, caraway, caraway cumin seed, and nettle infused. Taylor Farm is the only farm in Vermont that handcrafts farmstead raw milk gouda cheese!
19. Consider Bardwell Farm - 1333 Route 153, West Pawlet
The delicious cow and goat milk cheese has been pleasing pallets worldwide. This sustainable farm cares about their animals as much as their cheese, and after you taste it, you'll feel the love, too.