Out-of-staters sometimes ask us if Vermont is a part of Canada (that is, if the question wasn’t asking “What state is Vermont in?”) No, we are not in Canada, but we will certainly take a page out of our northern neighbor’s recipe book. The delicious dish of Poutine is made up of fries covered in gravy with cheese curds, but it has evolved a bit since it started becoming more and more popular in the land of farm to table dining. Let’s take a look at some of the places you’ll find the best poutine in VT.
1. The Copper Grouse - 3835 Main Street, Manchester
The Copper Grouse is redefining comfort food as we know it, and the short rib poutine is simply out of this world.
2. B & W Snack Bar - 3098 Barton Orleans Road, Orleans
The B & W has been serving some of the best fries (and creemees!) for over 50 years, and the poutine here is simply incredible.
3. Hazel - 75 Elliot Street, Brattleboro
You'll love the hand-crafted pizza, in-house smoked BBQ, craft beer and specialty cocktails in this downtown Brattleboro restaurant. Head on over and have some of their delicious poutine for lunch!
4. Tom's Loft Tavern - 300 Mountain Road, Ludlow
The sign outside may say that Tom's Loft Tavern is "Home of warm beer, lousy food, grumpy owner," but the reality is that they have a great sense of humor... Almost as great as the Poutine!
5. Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery - 36 Bridge Street, Brattleboro
These crispy fries are delicious without any fixings, but when they're tossed in chive oil and parmesan cheese with beer battered cheese curds and killer gravy, you have a winning combination!
6. Cliff House - 5781 Mountain Road, Stowe
Courtesy of the Stowe Mountain Resort
The Cliff House is located at the top of Mt. Mansfield at the Stowe Mountain Resort and offers spectacular views from Vermont's highest peak. Warm up with a hot bowl of soup and share their amazing poutine with friends... Or don't share... We won't judge.
7. Table 43.1 - 5 Village Lodge Road, Stratton
The portions at 43.1 are huge, and there is no shortage of short rib meat on the poutine.
8. Hop'n Moose Brewing Company - 41 Center Street, Rutland
The Hop'n Moose puts a few of their own twists into this Quebec classic treat with House made fries and Bridport Creamery cheese curds.
9. Worthy Kitchen - 442 E Woodstock Road, Woodstock
The poutine is certainly "worthy" here! The crispy fries topped with duck fat gravy, confit heritage pork belly, smoked Plymouth cheddar, herbs & pickled shallots.
10. The Reservoir - 1 S Main Street, Waterbury
You'll go crazy for the gravy on this poutine which is made with local Shed Mountain Ale.
11. Cornerstone Pub & Kitchen - 47 N Main Street, Barre
The fries at the Cornerstone Pub are perfection alone, so you can imagine how good the poutine will taste!
12. Bluebird BBQ - 317 Riverside Avenue, Burlington
You can get classic poutine at Bluebird, or you can get your BBQ fix with a heaping pile of pulled pork on top.
13. Mule Bar - 38 Main Street, Winooski
Enjoy this poutine with beer gravy and Maplebrook Farms cheese curd alone, or add your favorite fixing! Bacon, house pork belly, chili, slow braised pulled pork or even an egg!