The Oldest Restaurant In Utah Has A Truly Incredible History
George P. Lamb opened Lamb’s Grill in Logan on February 22, 1919. He moved it to downtown Salt Lake City in 1939. The restaurant is still located in the historic Herald Building at 169 S. Main Street.
When Mr. Lamb retired in 1973, he sold his restaurant to longtime employee Theodore John Speros. Mr. Speros kept the original fixtures and much of the original menu. He had a great reputation in the community for providing free meals and coffee to those without money, and served as President of the Utah Restaurant Association.
Mr. Speros passed the business on to his son John and daughter Estelle in 1977. Theodore continued to be closely involved in the day-to-day operations of the restaurant until his death in 2006.
John Speros sold Lamb’s Grill to restaurateur Francis Liong in 2011. Mr. Liong agreed to keep all 30 employees on the payroll, and while he has made a few updates, much of Lamb’s Grill remains the same as it’s been since 1919.
This video, posted by Zions TV on You Tube, shows some great old photos of Lamb’s Grill and provides some updates about the new ownership.