We’re enjoying a very mild spring here in Utah and getting spoiled with all this cool weather! Of course, before you know it, the temps will be in the 90s (and even higher!). Short of heading out of state to cooler climates, your best bet is to find one of Utah’s lakes or rivers. You’ll enjoy some incredible scenery, and have fun splashing around in, or floating on top of, the water. The Utahns in these 23 photos are doing it right!
1. Fishing from a pontoon on the Green River.
This seems so relaxing and peaceful. Does it even matter if you catch anything?
2. Bouncing around behind the boat.
If it’s a bumpy, bouncy, fast ride they’re looking for, they found it!
3. Taking a break on the Virgin River.
When your feet are sore from hiking, there’s no better natural spa that the cool, clean waters of the Virgin River.
4. Jet-skiing on Willard Bay.
This is a fabulous way to cool off on a hot, summer day.
5. Enjoying the solitude of fly fishing.
In this gorgeous setting, a solitary afternoon of fly fishing over the weekend is the perfect way to unwind.
6. Catching that one last round of waterskiing at dusk.
Jordanelle is gorgeous at sunset...why not go out one last time before heading home?
7. Paddleboarding on Deer Creek Reservoir.
Paddle along and get a suntan at the same time.
8. Kayaking at sunset on the Great Salt Lake.
Kayak from Antelope Island State Park.
9. Sailboating on Deer Creek Reservoir.
Floating along with these stunning mountains towering over you...amazing.
10. Reading by the river.
Relaxing with a book is even better right by the river.
11. Kayaking on the Great Salt Lake.
Did you know that Antelope Island State Park offers kayak tours? These Utahns did it!
12. Winning awards.
Deer Creek State Park Ranger Dawn Larsen earned the National Boating Officer of the Year Award in 2012. She’s clearly an experienced, capable pilot.
13. Boating at Utah Lake State Park.
Bring the kids and a cooler full of cold drinks and goodies - you can spend all day out there!
14. Paddleboarding at Jordanelle State Park.
This photo was taken during Sail-a-Palooza.
15. Fishing East Canyon State Park.
Utah’s lakes and reservoirs are a great place to spend one-on-one time with your son or daughter (or any awesome kid in your life).
16. Sailboating on Bear Lake.
Yes, the lake really is this blue.
17. Sunbathing and swimming at Huntington State Park.
Spread your towel out and bask in the sun...then dive in and splash around when it gets too hot.
18. Hanging on tight at Bear Lake.
Feel the need for speed? This little Utahn did!
19. Exploring Lake Powell by Houseboat.
What better way to spend the weekend (or a whole week if you have the time) than on a houseboat at Lake Powell?
20. Waterskiing at Lake Powell.
Because it’s not ALL floating lazily on the lake at Powell...sometimes you’ve gotta get out there and enjoy the rush of the wind against your face.
21. Jumping in at Flaming Gorge.
22. Hiking in the Narrows.
Hiking is even more fun (and cooler, too) when you can splash through the Virgin River.
23. Floating through Desolation Canyon.
These people know how to party Utah-style: a couple coolers, hats to keep them shady, and gorgeous scenery (one of them even brought a book - a woman after my own heart!).