Utah is a truly great state, but let’s admit it…sometimes things here can be a little bizarre. We’re unique in all the world, after all, which also makes us kind of weird. We’re not saying any of the following things are bad necessarily (though number two certainly makes us crazy). Read on and we think you’ll be nodding your head…yup you’ve had these bizarre experiences in the Beehive State.
1. You've struggled to make an out-of-towner understand the grid system.
How could this possibly be difficult? It makes perfect sense!
2. When the orange cones come out in the spring and you think, "Didn't they tear this road up last fall?"
Yes. Yes they did. But now they're doing something new and different. Probably.
3. You think, "I thought this hike was rated 'moderate'...why does it feel like I've gone six miles when the entire trail is only three?"
Yeah, some Utah hikes can be like that.
4. But then you get to the top and feel like you and your hiking buddy are the only two people on the planet.
Overlooking a valley that's home to more than one million people...it's bizarre and wonderful to be up there alone, isn't it?
5. You showed up at the outdoor concert in your shorts and tank top...then donned your hoodie or parka as the sun set.
While you waited for the opening act, you were sweating like crazy and getting a sunburn...now your fingers are going numb from the cold. How does this happen in July?
6. You've dined at a fine restaurant surrounded by screaming infants.
Sure, everyone has to eat...including those little angels. But who brings a baby to a fine dining establishment and then lets him scream throughout dinner? If you're paying top dollar for that meal, do you really want to try to bolt it down while the other patrons glare at you?
7. Hopping on the S Line...only to get back off a mere two miles later.
It's hard to feel like you got very far. Because you didn't. But the ride still took 12 minutes.
8. Driving through downtown Salt Lake City on a Sunday.
After three or four blocks without seeing another car or any pedestrians, you start to wonder if the apocalypse happened and no one told you...it's like a ghost town.
9. Wandering through Goblin Valley, you feel like maybe you left Utah...
...and traveled to Mars. It's a strange, wonderful, other-worldly place.
10. When you go out of town and find something weird at the grocery store...
You were just picking up supplies for your picnic, and you turned the corner to the next aisle, where you found...wine? Real wine! At the grocery store! Truly bizarre.
11. When you come down the escalator at Salt Lake International and people start cheering and clapping...
...and you're smiling because it's your birthday. But then you turn around and see a returning Mormon missionary behind you. Nope, those balloons aren't for you.
So, some things about Utah are bizarre. Other things are just simply beautiful. Check out these
12 Scenic Overlooks In Utah.