USA June 17, 2016
Most People Have Never Seen These 21 Photos Taken During WWII
World War II was a defining period in the history of this nation. There are a few iconic images that have come to represent this era, but so many other striking photographs have also survived. Check out this collection of rare WWII photos that are simply fascinating.
1. A woman working on a "Vengeance" dive bomber near Nashville, Tennessee.
2. A barker at the grounds of the Vermont state fair in Rutland. During wartime, people sought out fantastical distractions.
3. Backstage at the "girlie" show at the Vermont state fair in Rutland.
4. An instructor explaining how to operate a parachute to student pilots in Fort Worth, Texas.
5. An instructor and students studying a map in Forth Worth, Texas.
6. Women at the Douglas Aircraft Company in Long Beach, California work on planes for soldiers at the front. Most important of the planes made at this plant was the B-17F.
7. This woman is putting finishing touches on the bombardier nose section of a B-17F navy bomber in Long Beach, California.
8. This photo's description reads: "An American pineapple, of the kind the Axis finds hard to digest, is ready to leave the hand of an infantryman in training at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. American soldiers make good grenade throwers."
9. F.W. Hunter, army test pilot at the Douglas Aircraft Company plant at Long Beach, California.
10. Crowds of French patriots line the Champs Elysees to view Allied tanks and half tracks pass through the Arc du Triomphe, after Paris was liberated on August 25, 1944.
11. Rural schoolchildren learn geography in a school room plastered with patriotic posters.
12. A soldier trains to use a gas mask in simulated exercises at Fort Belvoir, Virginia.
13. A mother and daughter in Roanoke, Virginia raid their attic for scrap metal to donate to the war effort.
14. A sailor and girl at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington, D.C.
15. Children putting on a patriotic display in Southington, Connecticut.
16. Marine lieutenant, glider pilot in training at Page Field, Parris Island, South Carolina.
17. Crewman of an M-3 tank, Fort Knox, Kentucky.
18. Marines finishing training at Parris Island, South Carolina.
19. A woman working on an airplane motor at North American Aviation, Inc., plant in California.
20. A parade of M-4 (General Sherman and M-3 (General Grant) tanks in training maneuvers, Fort Knox, Kentucky.
21. News of victory spreads throughout the nation.
What did you think of these rare WWII Photos? Does your family have any interesting photos or stories from this era?