10 Cameras Captured Texas Weather So Terrifying You Have To See It To Believe It
Texas has seen some frighteningly powerful and extreme storms in its history, particularly hurricanes and tornadoes. Being on the Gulf Coast, we’re very vulnerable to hurricanes, and also the merging jet streams and wind patterns create the perfect breeding ground for tornado outbreaks. We have encountered our fair share of severe weather, and these videos showcase some of the most terrifying weather disasters in Texas in recorded history:
1) Hurricane Ike storm surge bashing the Galveston seawall in 2008. It was the second costliest hurricane to make landfall in the U.S., only behind Hurricane Katrina.
2) Guests at the San Luis Hotel in Galveston captured this raw footage of the eyewall of Hurricane Ike passing over and through the hotel. The sound of the wind is incredible – and creepy.
3) Hurricane Rita triggered one of the largest evacuations in U.S. history, and was the most intense cyclone ever recorded in the Gulf of Mexico. It made landfall as a Category 3 hurricane, and caused about $12 billion in damage.
4) Houston quickly turned into Venice as freeways and roadways took on an enormous amount of water when Tropical Storm Allison dumped torrential rainfall over the city. My dad had to abandon his car and walk home through the flooded streets to avoid getting trapped.
5) Hail pounds the Texas Panhandle, and rivers turn into raging torrents.
6) A crazy and rare Texas blizzard captured on video in February 2013 in the little town of Muleshoe.
7) Treacherous icing on the bridges between Houston and Beaumont in January 2014. No one was hurt in any of the accidents shown.
8) Storm chasers capture lightning striking the same set of TV towers eight times in a row in Wichita Falls. If you haven’t noticed yet, Texas is the land of extremes when it comes to weather.
9) More Hurricane Ike footage of the massive waves hitting the seawall, and the aftermath of the deadly storm.
10) I leave you with this raw footage of a deadly tornado in Granbury, Texas. Storm chasers never cease to amaze me with their undying bravery and passion for extreme weather.
While these storms may have been highly destructive, the sheer power of Mother Nature is also strikingly beautiful. Do you have any extreme Texas weather caught on tape to share with us? If so, leave a link in the comments below!