Life hacks. We’ve all heard about them – a witty phrase to describe ways to think outside the box and go against the norm to make life easier. The only problem is how generic they tend to be. Sure, using a staple remover to add something to your key ring is useful information, but what if I told you there were life hacks specific to Texas? This list will make life in the Lone Star State a little bit better – if that’s even possible.
1. Want a honey butter chicken biscuit after breakfast hours?
Easy. Just order a Honey BBQ Chicken Strip sandwich and substitute honey butter for BBQ.
2. Shake out your boots before putting them on.
You don't want to come face-to-face (or foot-to-face, I should say) with whatever critter could be lurking there.
3. Learn your snakes.
Test your knowledge - is this venomous or not? (Hint: red and yellow kills a fellow, red and black, you're okay, Jack.)
4. If bees bounce off of you, seek shelter immediately.
African killer bees are a force to be reckoned with. They have massive hives, and if you set them off, the entire colony could come after you. In short: don't mess with these fellas.
5. Don't mess with the cops. Just don't do it.
They aren't in the mood to put up with you, but they're always up for writing tickets for 5 over the speed limit. Or throwing so much as a fingernail out the window.
6. Never go anywhere without an umbrella. The sky could decide to dump the equivalent of an ocean on you at any time.
7. In fact, don't even bother with weather forecasts. Just go outside.
They always say "If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait 5 minutes." It really is that unpredictable, so we have to be our own meteorologists.
8. We're ALWAYS outside in Texas. Try this neat trick from trusper.com to keep your belongings safe!
Nobody likes sandy, or even worse, lost, valuables. You'll never have to worry about that again! Just clean out an old sunblock bottle and stash your money, keys, and other important things inside.
9. Get your vehicle checked before summer rolls around.
The last thing you want is a broken down car on a remote highway in the middle of July. Better safe than sorry!
10. Keep a bottle of water (or 10) with you at all times. The Texas heat will suck you dry like a sponge.
Everyone remembers the episode of Spongebob where he forgot his helmet in Sandy's tree dome, right? Don't be Spongebob.
11. We spend enough during the summer on AC. Save a bit and hang your clothes out to dry!
They might be stiffer than when you dry them mechanically, but hey, I'd take stiff clothes over a huge electric bill any day.
12. But beware: birds love to leave us little presents when we leave our cars unattended under a tree.
13. Carry sunscreen with you at all times - even if you don't plan on being in the sun. Did you know it comes in convenient sample sizes?
The Texas rays are intense and can burn you to a crisp.
14. Buy ChapStick in bulk. Trust me, your lips will thank you.
15. It's no secret we enjoy spicy food here in Texas. Keep whole milk handy in the fridge to numb the burn.
16. Buy a gun. And don't let anyone forget you own one or that you have the constitutional right to use it.
17. Eat at the Salt Lick in Driftwood. Does that count as a life hack? Who cares, just do it.
So tell us…have you ever done any of these things? What other life hacks do you think are perfect for Texas?