Before becoming a writer for this website, I dreamed of the day I could pick up and leave the “boring” state of Texas and move somewhere more exciting. But now, after realizing how great a place our state truly is, there’s no place I’d rather be and I never plan on leaving. These are the reasons why I’m a Texan at heart, loud and proud.
1. Our hospitality will melt your heart.
We've all heard of Southern hospitality, but there's no better place to see it in action than right here in Texas. I can't remember the last time I had to open a door myself or met someone new without a handshake preceding any conversation. If you've been up north, the difference is like a slap in the face.
2. You don't even have to leave the state to see a little bit of everything Mother Nature has to offer.
Towering mountains, lush greenery, arid deserts, fast-flowing rivers...we have it all.
3. Country roads.
Even though we're one of the most populous states in America, you can always escape to the country to find peace and serenity.
4. All the beautiful state parks.
I'm sure y'all are well aware of my love of nature, but I can't stress how lucky we are to have access to an abundance of well-preserved natural areas to explore.
5. Our sunrises.
If you've ever woken up at the crack of dawn in rural Texas...well, simply put, it's breathtaking.
6. We have arguably the best food in the country.
I know, I know, this might seem like a shallow reason for my heart being in Texas, but guys...just look at that barbecue pit.
7. Our small towns have so much character and charm that just doesn't exist anywhere else.
8. We're responsible for the first man on the moon.
If that isn't something to make your heart swell with pride for Texas, I'm not sure what is.
9. We've produced some of the best talent out there.
Willie Nelson, Selena, George Strait...the list goes on.
10. The way our trees evolve into vibrant works of art in the fall is breathtaking.
11. Getting a whiff of East Texas air is one of the freshest smells your nostrils will ever experience.
12. The hillcountry wildflowers stretch as far as the eye can see.
13. We have a huge variety of animals - including the largest population of Mexican free-tailed bats in the country.
14. We have the biggest rodeo in the WORLD.
15. And you'll never meet a Texan who can't think of about 10 reasons off the top of their head why they love our state.
Texas loud and Texas proud forever, y'all.