With over 100 people moving to Austin a day, most people in the city are not locals. Not everyone is lucky enough to call themselves Austinites. Before you can be considered a local, you have to do these 10 things.
1. Put a bat house in your backyard.
This way, you'll always have Austin's beloved mosquito-eaters around!
2. Find your perfect, hidden taco stand.
It's usually tucked away in a trailer park off the beaten path.
3. Howl at the moon at Barton Springs Pool.
You haven't fully experienced Barton Springs until you've howled at the full moon in the 68 degree water.
4. Attempt to become a yogi.
Whether it sticks or not, every Austinite has searched for inner peace on the yoga mat.
5. Snuck in booze through your cowboy boots.
Once you try this trick, ACL Fest is never the same.
6. Differentiate the types of Austinites.
From the tech startups gurus to the quirky hipsters, you're quickly able to tell who is who.
7. Know how to pronounce the street names (the Austin way).
You're not an official Austinite until you know how to correctly pronounce Guadalupe and Manchacha. Hint: it's not as easy as it looks.
8. Find quick route around rush hour traffic.
Most of the time, it involves riding your bike.
9. Bemoan the constant change and gentrification.
Austin ain't what it used to be.
10. Skip town during the major festivals and rent out your home online.
You make more money, and you can beat the crowds!