We all know that Tennessee is wonderful, but do you know HOW wonderful? Since we’re nearing Thanksgiving, it only seemed right to bring these solid twelve reasons why we should be thankful for the Volunteer State to the surface.
12) You can thank Knoxville for Mountain Dew.
Did you know that Knoxville is the birthplace of Mountain Dew? It was originally created as a whiskey mixer.
11) Tennessee MADE the King.
It was Memphis, not his home state of Mississippi, that gave Elvis the leg up that he needed.
10) And the Queen - we see you, T Swift.
AND Taylor Swift. The biggest pop star in the world made her start in Nashville.
9) Plus Dolly. Who can beat Dolly?
Born and raised on Ol' Rocky Top, Dolly Parton has changed the entirety of our culture with her widely varied entertainment career.
8) Nashville is responsible for the first combination candy bar - in 1912.
You better thank Tennessee if you're a fan of Kit-Kats and Twix bars.
7) And was the first place bottling rights were bought for Coca-Cola.
Yep - it's true. The rights were sold in Chattanooga in 1899 for a single dollar.
6) The Grand Ole Opry is the longest running radio show - ever.
The Grand Ole Opry has built a lot of stars, and has quite the reputation.
5) Thank you Lord for Jack Daniels.
Do we need to say more?
4) The largest mass of underground water can be found in Sweetwater.
The Lost Sea is 13 acres of water - that has been discovered thus far.
3) Adams is the home of the eeriest ghost story in American history.
The Bell Witch was so terrifying that even President Andrew Jackson was quoted saying he would never, ever stay the night at the Bell Farm.
2) Nashville is now the host to CMA.
The only genre-specific association in the media today.
1) Where would ALL first dates be without mini golf?
You can thank Chattanooga for the first patented mini golf course, used as a tourist trap in 1927.