Why is it that out-of-towners always have so many odd misconceptions about people from SoCal? If you’re a local, you’ve most likely had a few of these things come up in conversation. Here are 12 of the most frequent things we have to explain. Take a look and see which ones sound familiar to you.
1. Why we are so obsessed with fish tacos.
Seriously, have you tried a fish taco from SoCal? If not, then you really don't know what you're missing.
2. There's a difference between Northern and Southern California.
No, it's not the same thing. Even though both sides occupy the state of California, we may as well be from two completely different states.
3. We're not all obsessed with Hollywood celebrities.
Hollywood is for tourists, not locals. Just because we live here doesn't mean we are out every day seeking out a celebrity sighting.
4. We're not all Disneyland junkies.
Yes, we may live a short drive from the happiest place on earth, but it doesn't mean we make it our vacation destination every year. And, quite honestly, some of us have never actually been there before.
5. We don't hang out at the beach all day or even every weekend.
Yes, the SoCal beaches are one of the perks of living here, but it's not like we have the time to lounge in the sand all day.
6. Why everyone has road rage.
This one really doesn't require much explaining. Just put the out-of-towners in the car with you and hop on the freeway at rush hour. They will quickly understand why driving home from work puts you in such a sour mood.
7. There's a reason why so many people rent instead of buy a house in SoCal.
Out-of-towners most likely have mortgage payments that are less expensive than the average monthly rent in SoCal. Just pick up a flyer from a house for sale in your neighborhood and they'll quickly understand why buying is often times out of the question.
8. Not everyone drives a convertible.
Sure, there are people who have them, but it's most likely a tourist who has rented one for their vacation.
9. Southern California is so much more than just beaches.
We have mountains -- and lots of them.
10. Sunglasses are more than just part of the outfit.
It really is sunny here ALL THE TIME. So yes, we wear sunglasses not just to look cool, but because the sun is always glaring in our eyes.
11. Flip-flops go with everything.
Dressed up or dressed down, flip-flops are our favorite SoCal footwear every day of the week.
12. Speaking of flip-flops...
They are the reason our tan lines come out looking like this. So stop asking us why our feet look so weird.
Do any of these things sound familiar? If you’ve lived here long enough, there’s no question you’ve encountered at least one or two. For a little more SoCal fun, here are 10 ways you can always
spot a tourist in Southern California.