Fall is the perfect time to explore Southern California’s country roads. Take a trip through some of our state parks, recreation areas and national forests to catch a glimpse of the fall foliage that explodes into color in October. Don’t forget your camera!
1. Angeles Crest Highway, San Gabriel Mountains
Less than an hour from Los Angeles, you can be surrounded by the gorgeous San Gabriel Mountains fall foliage.
2. Banner-Grade Road
Take Banner-Grade to Chariot Canyon in October, and you'll likely see splashes of orange and yellow on the mountains.
3. Firefighter Steven Rucker Memorial Highway, Lake Cuyamaca
Take this memorial highway past Lake Cuyamaca in October for some pretty foliage.
4. Live Oak Canyon Road, Trabuco Canyon
You'll want to take your time on this dirt road, but the potholes are worth it!
5. Sunrise Highway, Mount Laguna
Take the Sunrise Highway to Mount Laguna, and consider staying overnight at the campground for a real fall foliage sunrise.
6. Hwy-76 Through The Cleveland National Forest
Parts of the 460,000-acre Cleveland National Forest are simply gorgeous in October.
7. Caspers Park Road, Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park
Really, any road will do in this scenic wilderness park, if you're visiting in October.
8. Little Sycamore, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park
A cruise down this little dirt road in Laguna Coast Wilderness Park yields some pretty oranges and yellows.
9. Palomar Divide Road, Palomar State Park
Pretty much any road in this pretty state park will yield some fall foliage this time of year.
10. Via Del Lago, Lake Perris State Recreation Area
Plan on spending the entire day at this pretty recreation area.
What’s your favorite place for fall foliage in October? Tell us the best country roads to take!