We South Dakotans may be able to handle life in our one-of-a-kind region, but we want to be absolutely clear that our home state is certainly not for everyone. If you’ve been considering making a move to Mount Rushmore State, read this list before you make a terrible mistake. Here are 14 reasons why you should never, ever move to South Dakota. (Wink, wink.)
1. We barely have any delicious regional foods to choose from.
In fact, don't expect to find any South Dakota delicacies at all.
2. Our cost of living is absolutely through the roof.
So is our personal income tax.
3. Nobody does anything fun or exciting in South Dakota, especially in the winter.
What an absolute snooze fest.
4. It just really bites not having one specific sports team to cheer for.
Getting to actually choose the team you want to support is not ideal.
5. Our state parks are awful.
Nothing interesting to see or do at any of them, especially Custer State Park.
6. Our sunsets and sunrises are just…. meh.
The same goes for the ones in our national parks.
7. And the people just aren’t that friendly, really.
Ugh, just look at that attitude.
8. It's awful to live in a state where it snows.
The worst! Especially during Christmas time. (The snow also makes for horrible photography.)
9. We don’t have any historic towns to explore.
All of our towns are boring with no character, and nothing interesting ever happened in any of them.
10. There’s just nothing to see in South Dakota.
Nope, nothing notable to see here at all.
11. You will never feel as though you have privacy.
With no open spaces, you will always feel claustrophobic.
12. Every single rumor you ever heard about South Dakota is true, including the one about our state consisting only of farmland.
We aren't even civilized.
13. South Dakota is not really a great place to raise a family.
Just look how unhappy and miserable everyone looks.
14. Who would want to live in this state anyway?
It’s just not aesthetically pleasing on any level.