There are countless things to take pride in about our state. South Dakota has the best home cooked food, wide open spaces and all four seasons. Beyond those things, we take pride in the advancements we have made while holding fast to our values. Of all there is to be proud of, here are just a few reasons.
1. We have some of the best medical centers in the US.
Sanford, Avera and more - to have state of the art medical facilities right here is a huge blessing.
2. Our locally produced beer is the bomb.
From Firehouse to Fernson, our breweries are on point. It doesn't get any better than a locally brewed, ice cold beer.
3. South Dakota has more shoreline than Florida.
With all the rivers and lakes in our state, we really do have more shoreline than the entire state of Florida. Pretty unbelievable but totally true!
4. The people in South Dakota are genuinely nice.
Run a tab at the local grocery store and let your kids play outside any time of day. These are just a few perks to living in the wonderful state of South Dakota.
5. We are one of two states to recognize Native American Day in place Columbus Day.
Since 1990, South Dakota has honored Native American Day. This change was one of many in a series of steps to reconcile historically poor treatment of the Native American peoples.
6. The agriculture industry of South Dakota feeds the nation.
We take great pride in our farmers and ranchers. They work hard to feed us and the rest of the nation.
7. Our work ethic is second to none.
You won’t find a harder worker anywhere else. When you’re born and raised in South Dakota, you learn both the importance of working hard and playing hard.
8. South Dakota has rich history and culture.
Like we said in number 5, South Dakota has a long history that includes unfair treatment, battles, and the process of reconciliation. We are still learning from and reconciling from some of our historically significant events. Those dynamics and what we have learned from them combine to make us a stronger community now than ever.
9. More than anything else, our state is beautiful.
We're proud of the prairies, rivers and hills South Dakota offers. The opportunity to see these views every day is unique and we don't take it for granted.