From people assuming it’s an island to overlooking it entirely, not everyone always takes Rhode Island all that seriously. Yet the people that live there know how amazing and unique of a place the Ocean State really is. From the coastline to delicious restaurants, here are 14 reasons Rhode Island is the most underrated state.
1. Rhode Island state beaches are unlike any other.
From Misquamicut to Easton's Beach there are dozens of amazing beaches across the coast.
2. Everything you need is just a short drive away!
Being the smallest state has its perks. Having everything from great coffee shops to grocery stores in close proximity makes things easier.
3. Block Island is a magical place.
A short ferry ride brings visitors to Block Island, where amazing beaches, restaurants, and a nature reserve are always waiting to be explored.
4. Charming independently owned restaurants can be enjoyed all over.
This photo was taken in Jigger's Diner in East Greenwich, a classic spot for great food.
5. Local brewing companies are scattered across the state.
From Newport Storm, to Trinity, and so many others, Rhode Island has an assortment of tasty microbrews.
6. Amazing parks and nature refuges hold beautiful landscapes and diverse wildlife.
Beavertail, Arcadia, Ninigret... the list goes on and on.
7. Rhode Island summers are the best summers.
With amazing festivals like RI Pride and the Seafood Festival, beautiful beaches, and the best frozen lemonade around, summers in the Ocean State are simply the best.
8. Fresh and well prepared seafood is found all over the state.
From clambakes to lobster, Rhode Islanders have it all in terms of seafood.
9. The state's rich history has created amazing museums.
From the Newport Historical Society to Slater Mill Historic Site, history buffs have it all in Rhode Island.
10. Providence is an amazing capital city.
With a beautiful river running through the heart of downtown, restaurants that are out of this world, and a fun music and arts culture, Providence is a wonderful little New England city.
11. Stunning architecture abounds throughout the state.
From colonial homes to gilded age mansions, there is beautiful architecture to be visited throughout the state.
12. There's a reason Newport is a tourist destination.
From enchanting harbors, fine restaurants, museums, cliff walks, and more, Newport is an amazing place to visit.
13. Rhode Island is a short distance from Boston, New York, and other great cities.
It's just so easy to take a weekend trip to New York City, or take a train in to Boston for a fun evening! This is a unique benefit of living in such a small New England state.
14. The music scene is uniquely amazing.
There are dozens of talented original acts, countless outstanding music venues, and fun music festivals occurring year round.
One nice thing about living in an underrated place is the state has successfully maintained its original flair. Can you think of other ways that Rhode Island is underrated?