Rhode Islanders get an awful lot of criticism for being from the smallest state and for our super cool accents that often lack the letter r at the end of words. What most people that give us flack don’t realize is that there are so many things that make this one of the very best places to live. Next time someone starts talking down about Rhode Island, simply show them this list of 15 reasons that make Rhode Island amazing.
1. Rhode Island invented the diner, forever ensuring access to comfort food across the nation.
Places like Haven Bros in Providence and Jiggers in East Greenwich keep the tradition alive and well!
2. The state was founded by a freedom loving exile.
Roger Williams was so committed to ensuring freedom of speech and religion, he was kicked out of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Instead of giving up, he founded Rhode Island on the idea that the civil state should not dictate religion.
3. Rhode Island landmarks are way more original than other state's landmarks.
Who doesn't love the Big Blue Bug on I-95?
4. Coffee milk is the official state drink.
What more could you ask for really?
5. Rhode Island was at the heart of leading the Industrial Revolution.
Just think how different life would be without this amazing time in history.
6. The oldest tavern in continuous operation is found in Newport.
The White Horse Tavern was constructed in 1652 and was an important meeting house to colony officials.
7. The state beaches are some of the most stunning in the entire country.
So stunning that tourists come from all over to experience them each summer.
8. Newport is home to the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Amazing tennis matches happen here attracting famous tennis players from all over!
9. Rhode Island never ratified the 18th Amendment for prohibition.
Gansetts for all!
10. Clam cakes originated in Rhode Island.
Battered, deep fried strips of clams are just as delicious as they sound.
11. The capitol city of Providence is more amazing than most state capitals can even dream of being.
It's earned the nickname the "creative capitol" for a reason! Tons of amazing art galleries, music venues, and so much more can be found all over the city.
12. Rhode Island architecture looks like this!
Gilded Age mansions abound in Newport.
13. Autumn in the nation's smallest state looks like this.
Fall activities include apple picking, pumpkin picking and carving, tasting fresh cider, and so much more.
14. State parks look like this.
Beautiful parks like this one can be found across the entire state.
15. The restaurants in Rhode Island are nationally acclaimed for their awesomeness.
Combine the densest population of italians with fresh and local seafood and you get purely amazing restaurants.