Pittsburgh May 30, 2016
11 Reasons Why People In Pittsburgh Should Be Proud Of Their City
A melting pot of cultures and opinions. A food lover’s dream. A city of champions – whether it’s in sports, technology, education, or medical innovation. Pittsburgh’s got it all, including its own flaws, and Pittsburghers know that no where in the world offers quite the same feel or comfort as their hometown. There’s plenty to be proud of when it comes to our amazing city. See if you agree or disagree with these 11 reasons to be proud of Pittsburgh:
Metropolis Magazine named Pittsburgh one of the World's Most Livable Cities in 2015 because of the community's efforts in preserving historical landmarks and for its innovation. No other city in the world has as much certified “green building square footage” as Pittsburgh.
2. Pittsburgh has earned a spot on the Most Livable City in the United States list a half a dozen times since the beginning of the 21st century.
3. We live in a technological hub. In fact,
The Huffington Post named Pittsburgh number eight on its list of “Top 10 Cities Techies Should Consider Moving to in 2016.”
4. We know how to get out there and to live life to the fullest – swimming, hiking, and enjoying the outdoors. That's why Pittsburgh landed the fifth (best) spot on
Wallet Hub's “2016's Best and Worst Cities for an Active Lifestyle.”
5. Fries on salads and sandwiches? Yes, please. Pittsburgh knows good food and our taste was recognized by
Zagat when it named the Steel City the Top Food City in 2015.
6. We live in the City of Champions. The Steelers, for example, lead the NFL in all-time Super Bowl wins with six and the Penguins are headed into the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals.
7. We give back to the community. Pittsburghers have raised more than $40 million, as one example, during the six years the city has participated in the Annual Day of Giving.
8. Pittsburgh is the home of many medical innovations, including Jonas Salk's development of the polio vaccine (1952) and the first heart, kidney, and liver transplant was performed at Presbyterian University Hospital (1989).
9. The Steel City lays claim to some pretty impressive firsts: First banana split (1904); first baseball stadium in the country (1909); first Bingo game (1920s), first Mr. Yuck stickers (1971)...and the list goes on and on.
10. We live in a beautiful, diverse city, so much so that Hollywood has come calling to film movies (The Dark Knight Rises) and television shows (Outsiders) throughout the Pittsburgh area.
11. Pittsburghers are a pretty friendly bunch. Offer a smile and most of us will easily start a conversation or exchange pleasantries.
These are just 11 reasons to be proud of Pittsburgh. Why are you proud of our beautiful city?