There’s no experience quite like growing up in a small town in Oregon. The Beaver State is full of beautiful small towns and rural communities that offer its residents room to play, important life lessons and strong communities. Here are 16 perks of growing up in a small town in Oregon:
16. Small town culture
From gorgeous scenery to awesome main streets, each and every Oregon small town offers something unique.
15. You develop an appreciation for nature...
It's nearly impossible to grow up in such a beautiful place without becoming attached to the serene scenery that surrounds you here in Oregon.
14. … and the quiet of the countryside.
Living in a small town in Oregon often means being close to the lovely rolling hills of the Oregon countryside.
13. You get to know all the best swimming spots.
When summer comes around, all the locals know exactly where the best places are to take a dip in the beautiful lakes, rivers and waterfall basins in the area.
12. Picking wild berries in the summer.
...Or going to nearby U-Pick farms and picking your own delicious apples, pumpkins, berries and more.
11. Going on a trip to a big city like Portland can be super exciting.
Do you remember when you were first allowed to go on a trip to the city with your friends? When you grow up in a small town, that sort of excursion can be such an amazing adventure, as well as a testament of coming of age in Oregon.
10. If it snowed during the winter, there were tons of amazing places to go sledding.
The neighborhood hills transformed into a winter wonderland.
9. Learning to drive was like taking a walk in the park.
There are tons of peaceful, quiet roads to drive down in Oregon, which makes practicing for your driving test a stress-free activity.
8. You get to go to a small school.
When you grow up in a small town, it's likely that you'll get to go to a small school where everyone knows and supports each other.
7. Nighttime could be just as beautiful as the daytime.
Stargazing on a clear night in Oregon is absolutely phenomenal.
6. You get to experience wildlife on a daily basis.
Sometimes it's easy to underappreciate having the opportunity to see wildlife on a day-to-day basis, but it's really quite an amazing thing to be lucky enough to experience.
5. Nothing beats climbing trees in Oregon.
There are countless beautiful trees in Oregon, many of which are perfect for climbing. Was climbing trees a big part of your childhood? It sure was in mine.
4. The bonds you make when you're young can last a lifetime.
When you live in a small town, many of your friends in high school are people you've known since kindergarten. That can make for some truly amazing, unbreakable friendships.
3. Pretty much everything you could ask for is only a short drive away.
When you want a change of pace, you’re never too far from amazing scenery, outdoor recreation, open skies and the hustle and bustle of the city.
2. You learn to keep yourself entertained.
Especially on those long, rainy days.
1. You value your community.
Community and family are very important in a small town. When you live in a place where everyone knows and supports each other, it can create an incredibly strong community.
What are some other things we can appreciate about growing up in a small town in Oregon?