Oklahomans are proud of their state, so getting them to admit some things can be a bit tricky. We don’t like to admit that we probably cook with way too much butter or that we have a crazed obsession with college football that might or might not be out of balance. So, if you’re willing to admit it, here are 15 things you might struggle admitting (out loud) if you’re from Oklahoma:
1. Calf fries really are strange.
I mean come on...deep fried bull testicles are not normal.
2. Texas has mouthwatering barbecue.
Alright, just admit it now. We didn't say the best, but it is good.
3. We really aren't that good at driving in the snow.
We're actually awful. No wonder the cities shut down at the first sighting of snow flurries.
4. How much butter we actually cook with.
The best answer is always "about a tablespoon."
5. We have a crazed obsession with college football.
Which means you'll never get us to admit that it is out of balance.
6. And that we weren't really sick when you planned your special event on a game day.
Sorry, but it's the Oklahoma cardinal rule not to plan a wedding on a Saturday in the fall.
7. Tornadoes scare the heck out of us.
Sometimes we pretend we're ready to sit on the porch with a drink and watch the tornado roll by, but in reality, we're shaking in our boots.
8. We're not as tough as we pretend to be.
From bombings to tornadoes, Oklahoma has taken some hard hits.
9. Our lakes are beautiful, but the water can be a bit scary to swim in.
From human sized catfish to lingering water moccasins, we don't always trust what is below us when we are swimming.
10. There have been times we couldn't wait to leave Oklahoma.
Whether it be the hot, humid summers or the need to see the ocean, everyone needs time away. And then we realize, there's no place like home!
11. We really don't know the difference between a bison and a buffalo.
Let's set the record straight... Bison are found in America and buffalo are found in Asia and Africa. Early American settlers called the American bison "buffalo" due to the similar appearance between the two animals, and the name stuck for the American variety. But it's wrong.
12. Our 4 seasons in a day joke isn't funny.
Having to deal with 4 seasons in the course of one day is extremely inconvenient and annoying.
13. The Oklahoma Panhandle really is "No Man's Land."
At least it is to those who live in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
14. There are times when we say “Bless her heart,” and that’s not exactly what we mean.
In reality, this is a subtle jab. For example, "Her cookies were awful, bless her heart." We are just too nice to say anything overtly mean.
15. Even we don't know how to pronounce all of our town names.
Pushmataha =Push-mah-tah-ha. Miami =Mi-am-uh. Sapulpa=Suh-puhl-puh.
What other things will people from Oklahoma never admit? Add to this list in the comments below.