Oklahoma March 02, 2016
17 Things You’ll Remember If You Grew Up In The 80s In Oklahoma
We all remember the awesome 80s! It was full of big hair, crazy fads and great music. And Oklahoma had its own events and memories to go right along with these fads. Here are 17 things you’ll remember if you grew up in the 80s in the Sooner State:
1. Cheering on Barry Switzer's third National Title for the University of Oklahoma in 1985.
2. Mourning the oil bust days.
3. Spraying Aqua Net Hairspray for a hold that would last ALL day.
4. Speaking of big hair...teasing it up as high as it would go.
5. Sporting your new Swatch Watch.
6. Being scared to enter the post office after the Edmond Post Office shooting.
7. Experiencing fewer than two magnitude 3.0 earthquakes on average each year, compared to nearly 700 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater in 2015.
8. Going to one of Oklahoma's drive-in theaters and watching RAD flicks.
9. Like the classic Ferris Bueller, E.T. or The Breakfast Club.
10. Getting to go to the arcade to play these games.
11. Jumping for joy when Frontier City added the Silver Bullet-the tallest roller coaster in Oklahoma.
12. Or when Big Splash opened in Tulsa.
13. Playing Nintendo and Super Mario Brothers.
14. Sporting your denim jacket and neon colors.
15. Rocking your jellies (or jelly shoes).
16. Wearing your new swimming suit for the opening of White Water.
17. Getting to up your speed limit from 55 mph to 65 mph on certain interstates in Oklahoma.
What was your favorite thing about the ’80s? I loved my jelly shoes!