Living in (or being from) Ohio comes with a standard set of questions you’re bound to be asked by out-of-staters. Occasionally, these questions will come from a genuinely curious person who means no harm—but most of the time they will come from the sarcastic, close-minded person that you wish wouldn’t ask. Regardless of which person you encounter, here are 16 things people always ask when they know you’re from Ohio:
1. "You seriously don’t think you have an accent?"
...No. We seriously don't know what you're talking about.
2. "Does that one river still spontaneously burst into flames?"
Contrary to what you might believe, we've actually got our act together since the 60s. (We're also well aware that we'll never live that down.)
3. "Have you ever been cow tipping before? What's it like?"
I don’t know. None of us know. We don’t know because we don’t do that here.
4. "Why do people in Ohio complain about the weather ALL the time?"
UH, you try living where designated seasons aren’t real and you sometimes use the AC and heat in the same day and you feel like you’re in a constant state of weather-induced confusion. You try that. You try that and THEN get back to us on that one.
5. "Why do you cheer for the Bengals/Browns/Reds/Indians?"
Because we actually believe in the concept of loyalty.
6. "So why do you guys hate Michigan so much?"
I can't even talk to you right now....Come back when you have something of value to ask.
7. "There's a lot of corn in Ohio, right?"
Yep. There are a lot of birds and trees here too.
8. "Why do you call Buffalo Wild Wings BW3’s when there are only two W’s in there?"
Why is the sky blue?
9. "Why do you call soda 'pop?'"
YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN STOP ACTING LIKE WE’RE ALIENS.
10. "You were probably born a Buckeye fan, right?"
I mean, basically...But there are people here who weren't. And aren't.
11. "Did you grow up on a farm?"
No. Turns out we have cities and suburbs here too.
12. "Who is Sloppy?"
You're asking all the wrong questions here.
13."Does chili on spaghetti actually taste good?"
When you pile it high with cheese, ABSOLUTELY.
14. "Oh! I went to Cedar Point once. Have you been there?"
Are you seriously asking me that? What do you think?
14. "Is it boring in Ohio?"
^ ^ ^
16. "So, like, is there anything to do in Ohio?"
Nah. We kind of just sit around and twiddle our thumbs here.
How you how many of these have you been asked? What other questions do people always ask when they know you’re from Ohio?