Although many states claim to be number 1 at certain things, few states can truly say they’re number 1 at certain things. From leading production to outstanding intelligence, the following are nine things Ohio is number 1 at—and proudly so.
1. Currently, our state capitol is the smartest city in the U.S. (and one of the smartest in the world.)
The Intelligent Community Forum (ICF), a New York-based think tank, named the world's top 7 most intelligent communities in January of 2015. Columbus was recognized for its 2007-2009 brain gain, economic and employment growth and technological advances. To read more about this recognition, click
2. Ohio is the leading producer of greenhouse and nursery plants.
(You can thank places such as Oberer's Flowers in Dayton and Aris Horticulture in Barberton for this environmental success.)
3. Ohio has the largest Amish population of any state in the nation.
As of 2000, the Amish population in Ohio was 49,750. (Pennsylvania comes in at number 2 with an Amish population of 40,100.)
4. Ohio leads the U.S. in production of Swiss cheese.
(You can thank our Swiss immigrants for this delicious success.)
5. Ohio is the biggest wool-producing state east of the Mississippi River.
Fun fact: There is a sheep and wool farm in every Ohio county.
6. Ohio leads all other states in the production of sandstone.
Most of the building sandstone comes from quarries in the northern part of the state.
7. Ohio has produced more astronauts than any other state.
Joke about it all you want, but we know the truth of the matter: We're smart. We're REALLY smart.
8. Ohio is home to the roller coaster capital OF THE WORLD.
Cedar Point in Sandusky is the only amusement park in the world with four roller coasters taller than 200 feet.
9. Ohio has produced more U.S. presidents than any other state.
OK, so technically we're currently tied with Virginia for which state has the most—but give it time and that will change.