Ohio is a severely underrated state—and you shouldn’t let anyone tell you anything different. As a state, we have a lot to offer the nation and the entire world. We’re home to some pretty impressive destinations you won’t find anywhere else on the planet. And we’ve birthed some incredible individuals overtime. Our bragging rights surpass those of many other states, so the next time someone hates on Ohio take a moment to remind them of these 14 facts:
1. Currently, our state capitol is one of the smartest cities IN THE WORLD.
The Intelligent Community Forum (ICF), a New York-based think tank, named the world's top 7 most intelligent communities in January of 2015. Columbus was recognized for its 2007-2009 brain gain, economic and employment growth and technological advances. To read more about this recognition, click
2. Eight U.S. Presidents came from Ohio.
We're currently tied with Virginia for which state has the most—but give it time and that will change.
3. Not to mention, we paved the way for mankind…
Man may have never conjured up the courage to walk on the moon if it wasn’t for one brave Ohioan.
4. …and we continue to do so.
Joke about it all you want, but we know the truth of the matter: We're smart. We're REALLY smart.
5. Humanity may have always been in the dark if it wasn’t for one ingenious Ohioan.
The birthplace of Thomas A. Edison is Milan, OH.
6. You can also thank two of Ohio’s most innovative brothers for flight anytime you board an airplane.
Despite whatever North Carolina is trying to take credit for, Ohio is the proud birthplace and home of the Wright brothers.
7. All other college football teams are inferior. ALL OF THEM.
(Don't hate us cause you ain't us.)
8. We’re home to the Roller Coaster Capital OF THE WORLD…
(AKA, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky.)
9. …the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame…
Cleveland is the proud home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
10. …AND the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Canton is the proud home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
11. We’re “the heart of it all.”
What is your state to the rest of America?
12. Our state is undeniably beautiful without mountains, canyons and all those other fancy, dramatic geographical features that make other states beautiful.
(It doesn't take a lot to make us beautiful here.)
13. Speaking of dramatic, fancy geographical features, Ohio is home to the largest accessible glacial grooves IN THE WORLD.
Few people know that the largest accessible glacial grooves in the world can be found on Kelleys Island.
14. In fact, Ohio is FULL of surprises:
April Dray/Only In Your State
(Pictured above: Old Man's Cave at Hocking Hills State Park.)
(Pictured above: Brandywine Falls at Cuyahoga Valley National Park.)
(Pictured above: The Chateau Laroche in Loveland, OH.)