The folks out here in Northern California can be a little wacky… at least that’s how the rest of the country sees us. But ask any Northern Californian—we like it that way! Whether it’s what we do or how we act, here are a few things that are uniquely Northern California that leave people from other parts of the country just shaking their heads.
1. We drive a lot.
But how could we not, when there are so many places to go here in this beautiful state? Northern Californians definitely have a love and deep appreciation for the open road.
2. We say "hi" when we pass a stranger on the street.
Even in someone the larger cities, Northern Californians are all small town people at heart. We love taking our time and getting to know our community. Pictured here is Nevada City, one of the premier foothill vacation towns in the Sierra.
3. We push the speed limit on country roads.
Those hairpin turns are pretty fun, and scary, 10 miles per hour above the speed limit. Northern Californians definitely drive like locals when it comes to the windy mountain roads that we know well.
4. We’re constantly complaining about the rain… There’s too little, there’s way too much. We just can’t make up our minds.
With good reason! Northern California was in an awful 5 year drought until this winter, when all the water that has been held back on us arrived at once. You know what they say, when it rains it pours!
5. We can tell the difference in vintages when it comes to our favorite wines.
When it comes to wine tasting, no one has a finer palate than a Northern Californian. We're just spoiled here because we have such good wine. We're not stuck up about our love of a fine fermented drink, though. Wine tastings in NorCal are casual, relaxed occasions.
6. We live with the danger of wildfires...
Most Northern Californians who live out in the country can tell you the importance of having defensible space around our homes. We love our firefighters who protect our communities.
The 6.0 Magnitude Earthquake that swept through the City of Napa in 2016 was one of the most damaging to have come around in a while. Some businesses are still recovering from the damage.
8. Despite the natural hazards, we are so, so proud of where we live.
Whether you are a hiker, gardener, dog walker, or just all around nature lover, this region of the country is undeniably spectacular for getting that recharge many of us find in the outdoors.
9. We cheer for our local Northern California teams, no matter their record.
From NFL to NBA to college to our local high schools, we love our local sports teams.
10. We speak our own lingo, whether we are talking about soda over pop or flip-flops over slippers.
In case anyone from out of state or new to the area is reading this, it's soda. Always soda.
11. We’ll stop to help a stranger, any time of the day.
It's easy to make new friends in small towns across Northern California. In the store, on the street, and at community gatherings... people are interested in chatting and lending a hand. You won't find a nicer group.