There are some things that just come standard to being from North Dakota no matter what kind of person you are. Other than being “North Dakota Nice,” here are 9 things you can almost definitely relate to if you are from North Dakota. Keep reading to see if you do!
1. The only traffic you have experienced is waiting in a line of cars behind a tractor.
Planting and harvest seasons would be our "rush hours."
2. You have a security light on your house but you rarely lock your doors.
You've probably also left your keys in the car in a parking lot if you just have to run into the store real quick, or at least have seen an empty running car or two in any busy parking lot at any given time.
3. You think it's ridiculous when other states cancel school for just a tiny sprinkling of snow.
It seems like an inch of snow shuts the entire southern portion of the country down, but here we are bussing kids through 4 feet of snow twice a day, no problem. Snow days are for the weak!
4. You get excited for winter to end because the local ice cream place will open for the season again.
Yes, a lot of our Dairy Queens are only seasonal. But that makes it all the more exciting to get some ice cream when they open for summer!
5. You measure distance in time, not miles.
We have a lot of long roads with little to no curves or bends, and everything is pretty spread out. It's just easier to estimate the time it takes to travel!
6. You are used to seeing hunting clothes worn everywhere - not just for their actual purpose.
Florescent orange is SO in this season.
7. You get excited when North Dakota is mentioned on national news, even if it's probably about how cold it is or about flooding.
At least that means we weren't forgotten about entirely.
8. When people mention going to "the cities" you know exactly the place they mean.
This is also considered an "exotic" trip despite being located in the next state over.
9. You have probably sat around a hole on an iced over lake in freezing temperatures with a line dropped down at least once in your life - and enjoyed it.
Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but ice fishing CAN be fun! If you enjoy freezing temperatures, sitting on ice over a deep lake, and catching fish through a hole, that is.
What other things do you think everyone can relate to that are part of being North Dakotan?